Speckled Sussex... Traits of the Breed

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by chickengal7, Aug 29, 2014.

1. chickengal7

chickengal7 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 29, 2014
    I have three Speckled Sussex pullets. I have been trying to introduce fruits and vegetables to them and they hate everything I have tried. I was reading somewhere that their breed can be picky eaters... is this true?

2. petrel

petrel Chats with Chickens

I only have one. She eats everything but ants. Then again, my whole flock does.

3. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    I used to have some Speckled Sussex and they weren't picky eaters at all. They ate everything that the rest of my flock ate.

4. 3riverschick

3riverschick Poultry Lit Chaser

May 19, 2009
    western PA
    My Coop
    Hi !,
    Maybe they are too young to be interested? Try some mealworms. They love it when they wiggle and squirm. Get some at the fish bait store. Skip the nightcrawlers or fishing worms.
    Get an ear of corn and give it to them. Mine go nuts for a fresh ear of corn on the cob. They strip it bare quickly! watermelon is another fav of my birds. I leave a bit of pink on the rind when I carve one up for us and give them some strips of rind. Next morning just a thin husk is left, LOL! In the winter chickens love kale.
    Best Regards,
    Karen in western PA, USA

5. chickengal7

Aug 29, 2014
    I have tried mealworms and they LOVE them, live or dried they don't care they go crazy for them. That's why I'm curious as to why they won't eat the fresh fruit or veggies I give them! Thanks for the tip, will definetly try corn and maybe some watermelon too!!

6. chickengal7

Aug 29, 2014
    Another thing... if I were to add more to my flock any ideas on breeds? Sussex are said to be docile so I don't want any breeds that are not known for being docile. I want something friendly and unique. Favorolles are one of the breeds I have thought about... any others? I LOVE silkies but do not know if they'd be good to mix in with my sussex since they are bantam sized.

7. AnnieSantiago

AnnieSantiago Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2014
    Portland, Oregon
    My SS girl eats just about anything that isn't tied down.
    She loves all fruits and veggies.

She's a piggy and her crop scared the heck out of me last week, it was so big.
    But I checked it next morning and she was fine.
    She just eats and eats and eats and chases the others away.

On the other hand, she's the only one of the four laying.

8. Anuthatch

Anuthatch Out Of The Brooder

Apr 17, 2014
    Saratoga County, NY
    I have 4 SS hens who are 20 weeks. They are my first so I have no experiece but I've been surprised at what they like and what they don't based on all the comments about what "chickens love." I'm not surprised you are thinking the are fussy eaters because mine are selective and it's made me curious about why mine don't

My observations are age plays a big role. Mine are getting more curious about different foods the older they get. The only things I've found they go nuts for are blueberries, mealworms and japanese beetles.

They have had alot of other things with various levels of interests. Corn on the cob, broccolli florets, watermellon, cantalope, cucumbers, green bean ends, cottage cheese, yogurt, strawberries, oatmeal, tomatos, strawberries, spring mix lettuce, bird seed heavy on black oil sunflower, Triscuts, are some I can think of. Some of these things they hardly touch and some they have moderate interest in but I'd say by no means do they love them the way I've read comments from others of all breeds.

I sort of scratch my head but don't worry much about it. Mine free range all day so maybe when winter comes and the selection is less, they will be more interested in the smorgasboard of delicacies reported by other chickens. [​IMG] I'm thankful they are leaving my tomatos in my garden alone! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by