speckled sussex vs. black austrolorp

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by zachslc, Feb 12, 2009.

1. zachslc

zachslc Out Of The Brooder

Oct 19, 2008
    Salt Lake City
    I am keeping 4-5 birds, two of which are EE. For the others I can choose any combination of black austrolorp and speckled sussex (right now I have three of each). Does anyone have an opinion of which is a better layer? Most websites and books list them as about the same, but I am interested in personal experience. Anyone?

Thanks.

2. crzychicken

crzychicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2008
    My EE's lay very well 1 a day and their large- xlarge eggs my Austrop. also are great layers 1 a day but a med -large eegs they are just 33 weeks old and I don't have the other kind.

3. Sugar Sand Farm

Sugar Sand Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2007
    North Florida
    I have both Australopes and Speckled Sussex they are both very good layers, however the speckled will go broody. The blacks so far are alittle more flighty and have never gone broody on me. The speckled are also smaller birds than the blacks.

4. rodriguezpoultry

rodriguezpoultry Langshan Lover

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    Australorp was the better layer, while I absolutely LOVED my speckled sussex personality.

5. tinners204

tinners204 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2008
    Iowa
    My Black Ostralorps have been laying since the where 20 weeks old started in December. As far as I'm concerned they are the best. My girls have proven there selfs to me:weee

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by