speckled sussex vs easter eggers

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by 1 Bad Rotti, Nov 3, 2010.

1. 1 Bad Rotti

1 Bad Rotti Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 1, 2010
    I currently have black australorps and turken. I'm trying to decide on speckled Sussex or Easter eggers to add as an additional breed. I really like both but would love to hear some different opinions. My goal is to have egg producers that will set and would be good for crossing. In advance thanks for the help.[​IMG]

2. tadkerson

tadkerson Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2008
    Missouri
    If you want to hatch eggs-get an inexpensive incubator. If you purchase EE you may purchase a hen that will go broody but I would not count on it. The speckled sussex can be broody but again I would not count on a hen going broody when you want to hatch some eggs. I have had EE that were great egg layers and others that were very poor. Sussex should be a good egg layer for you.

Tim

3. Gallusfarm

Gallusfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2009
    I prefer Sussex, for their sweet disposition (hen) and friendly personality of the roos - and their looks. There are a lot of good qualities for EEs as well - egg color, as well as color combinations of the bird. Could you possibly try a few of each and see what you like? That's really the best way to find out.

I agree totally with the other post - get an incubator. I just had a broody sit for 19 days and then quit. It's sad and frustrating.

here's a video of our SS roo.... [​IMG]

4. D'Angelo N Va.

D'Angelo N Va. Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2009
    I just got my first Speckled Sussex this year as little babies..and they are grown now and they have the sweetest disposition., they lay a small/medium size egg and are good layers. My EE's are nice and gentle and lay a larger more interesting colored egg. That's the difference I see in them. Next year. I want to raise more Speckles Sussex though. Right now I do not have a sussex rooster, but next year I intend on getting one and keeping a pure bred stock of them. The sussex are Nice and heavy also.

5. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Definitely go with Sussex over EE, if you go by my experience. My two SS are laying fairly well now that the group of 13 is laying about 3 a day (no added light) but my 5 EE are giving me one or two a WEEK at best. They started late and have never laid more than 3 a week at their best. Mine are also flighty like a leghorn, and my SS run up to me to be petted. You should get some broodies either from the Australorp or SS; I have had at least one of each breed, and they are supposed to be inclined to go broody.

I don't have an incubator, don't want one. My broodies hatch my eggs. There have been some disasters but I also have several mutts of laying age from letting them hatch, and would probably have more but I took the eggs -- too many chickens right now. Chicks raised by broodies are healthier and wiser, mature faster, and there's no hassle of brooding them, lights, etc. -- mamas do all the work. I will NEVER brood in my house again at any rate -- that was awful.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 4, 2010
  6. Keri78

Keri78 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 17, 2009
    NJ
    a few of each![​IMG] I have both and I LOVE them for different reasons! My EE's layed up a storm this summer...we had blue & green eggs coming out our ears! My Sussex layed well too but right now ALL 50 of my chickens have been on STRIKE for about a MONTH!!! Go Figure![​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 4, 2010
  7. annie3001

annie3001 My Girls

Jun 11, 2009
    Ct.
    Quote:beautiful roo [​IMG]

8. WestKnollAmy

WestKnollAmy The Crazy Chicken Lady Premium Member

Apr 22, 2008
    upstate SC
    Another great thread!

I have the EE's and have hatched from 3 differnet roos plus making Olive Eggers. I got in some Speckled Sussex last spring but was bought out and didn't get to keep any![​IMG] I am going to get about 20 more next spring and hang on to them. Everyone that got the SS said they are alsome gilrs with great temperaments! I want some![​IMG]

I don;t know that I can take on another breeding project but I will see what I like about the SS. I adore my blue, green and olive eggs so know that is a breed I will hang on to.

Again, thanks for the thread! I loved hearing about everyone's experience with the SS.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by