Speckled Sussex vs. Partridge Rock chicks??

Rock Wyandotte

Songster
10 Years
Mar 11, 2009
Newbury, Vermont
I have a new arrival of chicks. They're about 3-4 days old. Is there any way to tell the difference between the Speckled Sussex chicks and the Partridge Rock chicks? All the others I've got figured out (they're obvious). Thanks.
hmm.png

My rocks legs are even darker then yellow, almost a brown color. Also, they hase smooth dark brown backs, they dont really have much in the way of markings. If you post pics maybe we can tell you. Here are some of my rocks.

I cropped it so it is a little fuzzy, but you can see how dark and smooth the color is. Hope this helps!

23023_100_4307_cropprd.jpg

Actually there are three or more colors of Partridge Rock chick down.

The typical partridge pattern found in EE's and most partridge patterned birds.

The chocolate blk/brown pic you are showing.

And an orangy red headed red/brown smooth colored chick.

The typical partridge patterned birds so far have grown fastest and may or may not have good head, hackle and saddle color.

The chocolate ones usually come in a very very nice mahogany red bird though the quality of pencilling can vary widely. Though most of them are slower growers than either the typical PR or the orange/reds. They still max out to be the nicer birds. End up using the most from this group.

The orangy-red chicks tend to produce a hen and roo with too much orange in the plummage and often a very light central vein to the feather - a big fault. I end up culling out about 80% of these.

That's three different hatches of birds from two different hatcheries and at least some of each color group present at each hatch.

Yes they tend to a bronze almost brown color to the front of their legs, end up with very yellow under color and their beaks are dark with a horn color tip in some.

One of the things I love about my PR's is the wide variation in chick pattern, juvenille coloring and then mature feather in.

You end up holding your breath for four or five months just to see what you get.

Wow! That was so interesting! Thank you very much, I love my PRs and am glad to know more about them.

Also, these are babies from my own flock, which I got last year from Welp. They also all had the dark coloring, and they do mature slowly. They are much smaller then the EEs I hatched at the same time.

Hey, Everyone! This is all very helpful, thankyou! I went down and took a really good look at the chicks. The two groups are incredibly similar if you're looking down at them. The biggest difference that I now see is their underbelly color. One is yellow and one is light brown - it's a very distinct difference. The one's with the brown bellies have dark legs and the one's with yellow bellies have much lighter legs.
Also, I read in another thread that in some breeds the male chicks legs are bigger. There are definitely some with "beefy" legs. They do seem more masculine. Would this be true in these breeds?

So here's what I'm thinking:

Speckled Sussex - yellow bellies, white legs.

Partridge Rocks - Brown bellies, dark yellow/brown legs.

Right?
smile.png

(I have pics but don't know how to attach them yet.)

That sounds likely and yes in PRs the boys get huge ankles and feet early.

Some may have slower combs but darn those legs get going quickly.

Walkswithdogs what was the other hatchery that you ought your PR from? I know one was Ideal. Just curious since you mentioned it. Also not surprised you got so much variation in chicks. That seems the norm from those coming from Ideal.

Back
Top Bottom