Speckled Sussex vs. Salmon Faverolles; who is friendlier?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by rhs7111, May 2, 2011.

1. rhs7111

rhs7111 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    Opinions please: who is the friendlier, more "lap chicken" breed, Speckled Sussex or Salmon Faverolles?
    To even the "playing field", let's compare hatchery birds of these breeds.

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    My friendliest is a SS, walks up to me and follows me, begs for treats of course but also wants to be petted. I never tried to tame her and she is the only one who is this friendly -- a couple others (differnt breeds) sort of follow her but stand back a ways. Never had a SF, sorry. The SS is an Ideal hatchery bird.

3. teddiliza

teddiliza Chillin' With My Peeps

As a general group, I bought both in the same order from Estes. The sussexes tend to seek you out more! The favorelles started off skittish then gradually got used to being petted, but the sussexes I've noted are much friendlier, curious little things. They won me over comparing the two.

4. Higins00

Higins00 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2008
    Ct
    I have had both Speckled Sussex and Salmon Faverolles from a hatchery. My Salmon Faverolles were so docile they got picked on horrible and never left the pen. My speckled sussex is named buddie because she hops on my lap and follows me around like a little buddie. My vote is SS.

5. martings

martings New Egg

Jan 26, 2012
    I have both, Speckled Sussexes and Salmon Faverolles, and definitely the SS are extremely docile, and don't mind being picked up ... The SF's are beautiful and friendly but just don't want to be held, like the SS's. I'm breeding the two together and expecting to get the best from both. I'll be glad to report back after I hatch some of this combo.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by