Speckled Sussex w/ gold lacing??

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by WiseChicks, Jan 8, 2009.

1. WiseChicks

WiseChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2008
    Hudson, WI
    I have 2 roos that someone got as from a hatchery with their order. They are big, beautiful, colorful boys and I cannot figure out what in the world they actually are!

They look most like Speckled Sussex Roos, but instead of the white lacing on the chest, it is gold lacing.

Anybody have any guesses? I will try to get a few pics soon....

Katie

2. ChickenWisperer

ChickenWisperer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2008
    KY
    Well, speckled sussex dont have "lacing", but rather more of a "mottled" appearance. From how your describing them, im guessing golden laced wyandotte? But I cant be sure without pics. I'll post again when you post some! [​IMG]

3. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

I agree they don't sound like SS...they don't have lacing. Also SS have straight combs and wyandottes have rose combs. Which do your roos have? Pictures would definately help.

Here's a SS roo
    [​IMG]

And here's a Blue Laced Red Wyandotte roo...the coloring on a gold laced would be different, but the lacing should be the same

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 8, 2009
  4. WiseChicks

Dec 16, 2008
    Hudson, WI
    Yes, definitely lacing, not spotting. Rich gold lacing (the lacing is like the color of a buff orp).

Straight, large comb exactly like a Sussex, not a rose comb like a Wyandotte.

I have looked through many pictures and always come up empty....

Katie

5. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

hmmmmmm...that's a puzzle. Can you post a picture? clean or feathered legs?

6. WiseChicks

Dec 16, 2008
    Hudson, WI
    Clean legged, large, richly colored. I am hoping the light is good when I get home so that we can take the 2 roos out and get some pictures.

If they are a particular breed, and are conforming, I'll look for hens. If not, I'll try and find someone who wants roos for a mixed flock. They are really nice roos, almost a year old, and they currently share a run with a bantam birchen cochin roo, and there is no fighting.

Thanks!

7. ChickenWisperer

ChickenWisperer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2008
    KY
    Strange......sometimes an occasional straight comb shows up in wyanottes.......in fact i have a SLW girl with one, but both? Thats strange. This is a puzzle!

8. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    From what I've seen of peoples' reports of single-combed wyandottes from hatchery stock I would not be especially astonished if you did happen to have 2... if you ignore the comb, do they otherwise look like GLW?

Pat

9. WiseChicks

Dec 16, 2008
    Hudson, WI
    I went to the Wyandottes page, and definitely not a GLW. The laced feathers on my boys are black with the gold edging, and GLW are exactly opposite. Also, the GLW seem to be very reddish. My boys' lacing is definitely gold.

The coloring is actually more similar to the Partridge Wyandotte, but I am thinking that they don't have as much gold in their neck/saddle feathering, and I haven't really seen anyone in the US offering Partridge Wyandottes....

From the story I got, these 2 boys were included in an order as "Packing Peanuts", and the folks live in the city, so when they came to get a few hens from me this fall, they brought the boys because they were starting to crow, and they couldn't keep them. (Almost the same way I got my BLRW roo)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by