Speckled Sussex, Welsummer, or Brown Leghorn?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Faraday40, Mar 15, 2017.

1. Faraday40

Faraday40 Overrun With Chickens

Aug 1, 2013
    Illinois
    "Interesting" is a good word to describe my recent chicks. I only wanted a few chicks, so I ordered them from Cackle via a local store. The store is newly opened & slightly closer to my house, so I placed my order there. They had no idea what they were doing. All 200+ special order chicks were running around together in a large bin - with a small sign that read not for sale. Next to it was a bin mixed with buff orps, cornish cross, & barred rocks for sale. When I went to pick up my chicks, they sent a young teen with a Cackle catalog in hand to use the pics to pick out my chicks. She handed me a chick with muffs..... No Thank you! I was able to find 3 of my 5 Silver Appenzeller Spitzhaubens. They put in an order for 3 more (one extra as an apology) because they probably gave away my Spitzes to another customer. I didn't like my chicks being on the sales floor. The manager said she put all the chicks in the same area because she was afraid they'd get forgotten if held in back.

Anyway, I had also ordered 5 Speckled Sussex pullets. They had several chipmunk chicks running about. I made sure to get 5 chicks with 3 stripes and no EEs. Other than that I had no idea. Of course now I am beginning to wonder what I have. There are some subtle differences, but I think one may be a Welsummer or Brown Leghorn. If anyone has experience with them, let me know what you think.

The ? chick is on the left & the right chick looks pretty much like the others. (Unlike the rest .....Yellow belly does not go all the way up to beak, feet have a slight yellow color, & fluff color between stripes is very light)
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Any breed guesses??

2. SunHwaKwon

SunHwaKwon Overrun With Chickens

Jul 19, 2015
    Eastern Shore, MD
    I was going to say look at this but I'm not sure it will help much.

https://hoovershatchery.com/id-my-chick.html

I think that's a welsummer and a speckled but I'm not 100% sure. Can you post a pic of the tops of their heads as well?

3. Faraday40

Aug 1, 2013
    Illinois
    ? Chick is on left. I think SS are center & right.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 15, 2017
  4. SunHwaKwon

Jul 19, 2015
    Eastern Shore, MD
    Gosh dang I'm googling pics of chicks and even within breeds there so much variety. How dumb of them to mix them all like that!

ETA btw I am wondering about your screen name... is that your actual last name or...?

5. Faraday40

Aug 1, 2013
    Illinois
    sent you a pm of the story behind the name.

Yes, I see some diffs among the indiv chicks, but that one just seems a little too different. I never knew how hard it would be to sort chicks. It wouldn't be bad if it were a Welsummer or Leghorn. I honestly would welcome the variety of egg colors. I just want to know what to expect. Google doesn't always do a good job on chicken images. When I put in a specific breed, it often adds pics of completely different chicken breeds. Often, I see my own pics! LOL Not always helpful since I already know what kinds of chickens we own!

I feel sorry for all the other customers who are also missing the chicks they ordered. I wonder how surprised the person who got my Spitzes will be when their chicken looks like this & starts flying up into the trees! They are a very active breed, require training, and are not for beginners.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. SunHwaKwon

Jul 19, 2015
    Eastern Shore, MD
    I have three 3-week-old Spitz's right now, though I only plan to keep one once I can sex them. I am hoping/assuming they are a bit "flightier" of a breed like my hamburg, who loves to hang out in the trees during free range time.

7. shearches

shearches Out Of The Brooder

Feb 27, 2017
    Commerce, Georgia
    Ok. I need help too![​IMG]
    Solid cinnamon color, clean legs

8. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Lots of Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Speckled Sussex will have pink legs, welsummer have yellow legs, so do leghorns, as earlobe color develops you can them apart as leghorns have white earlobes and welsummer have red.

9. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Appenzeller Spitzhauben are gorgeous. I've been trying to get my friend to buy one, she is unhappy with the last silkie she bought. I love the black and white and was surprised they come in other colors.

10. SunHwaKwon

Jul 19, 2015
    Eastern Shore, MD
    I am not big on crested chickens. I do have a Sultan that came with a bantam assortment, and I kind of have to take away from her look by trimming her crest. She seems to appreciate it. I like that there is enough jazziness to the AS hairdo without a lot of obstruction of their vision (in the females, at least).

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by