Speckled Sussex

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by speckledhen, Mar 13, 2007.

1. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Thinking about switching gears and getting some hatching eggs of these. What are the roosters like, temperament wise and with the hens? How large do both get? Experiences with them? Egg laying sizes, frequency, winter?

2. allen wranch

allen wranch Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    San Marcos, TX
    My speckled Sussex roo is huge and beautiful. He is great with his girls but will spur or bite me if he can. We have come to an understanding though. I am the head roo.

The hens are a pretty good size also and lay a medium light brown egg. They are very sweet. Mine shut down laying completely this winter. Henderson's Chicken breed chart says they are very cold hardy.

http://www.ithaca.edu/staff/jhenderson/chooks/chooks.html

Here are a few of mine. The daughter is not in the picture.
    [​IMG]

3. Llysse

Llysse Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2007
    What beautiful birds! I was SOOO tempted to get Speckled Sussex chickens, but I finally decided on Faverolles. I guess I'll have to build another coop if I want some Sussex! (That sounds like a good idea!)

[​IMG]

4. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Thanks, Carla. I decided to get some from Gina to round out my incubation since I've always wanted some. Your roo is absolutely gorgeous! Thanks for posting the picture.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by