1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Speckled Sussex

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by E.M. Silkies, Nov 8, 2010.

1. E.M. Silkies

E.M. Silkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2010
    Georgia
    Hi everyone!
    I found a breed I like. The Speckled Sussex. But I don't know anything about it and would like to know some more. Anything you can tell me would be great! I love the way they look but that's about all I know. Thanks.

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    They are nice, large mellow birds. They lay a medium to large light brown egg. I've loved the ones I've had.

If you get them, get them from a reputable breeder. I know bargain (Nancy) here on BYC sells SS hatching eggs and has a gorgeous flock.

3. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Hello, I've had a Speckled Sussex, and she was just beautiful. A heavier breed, and she was a sassy gal. Squatted for me anytime I put my hand out. I believe she though I was her rooster. I do think she was one of the prettier breeds I have. Now, I wouldn't call her an egg laying machine, but she layed an egg about every other day. I only had one SS hen, and I bought her from the Meyer Hatchery.

I think the SS is a good dual-purpose breed.

4. Ed62

Ed62 Chillin' With My Peeps

We have 6 pullets and a cockerel. They're about 28 weeks old now. Each one has it's own personality.

Eric, the cockerel, is always busy keeping an eye out for anything that might happen to the flock. A pullet managed to get over a 6' high fence, and was in my neighbor's pool area. We heard Eric making a very loud "Help needed" sound, unlike crowing. I went to see what was going on, and the pulllet couldn't get back where she belonged. I went over to get her, but there's no telling what would have happened if Eric didn't let us know something was wrong.

If I walk among them with something that will frighten them, they will scatter. All except Madonna, that is, who likes living on the edge. [​IMG] She has to investigate everything, especially if it could be dangerous. [​IMG]

We have one pullet who began laying about 1 1/2 weeks ago. The eggs are small, but will eventually get bigger. They are always very clean, and we do not wash them.

These are our first chickens, and we really enjoy watching their antics. I think you made a good choice in the breed.

Ed

5. RAREROO

RAREROO Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by