Speckled Sussex

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by rebeccamariemiller, Jul 31, 2013.

1. rebeccamariemiller

rebeccamariemiller In the Brooder

Dec 9, 2008
    I put 13 speckled sussex eggs in the incubator on the 12th of July. I just camdled them and 5have of them you can see veins really well. One had a blood ring so I threw it out. The rest have an air sack at the end but I can't see anything else. Do you think those are growing or what? What would you do? I will try to get pics the next time I candle.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2013

2. salkxsj

salkxsj Chirping

Jun 12, 2013
    San Diego
    what is a blood ring

3. Hoosierchickens

Hoosierchickens Songster

Jan 9, 2011
    Cloverdale, IN
    If you set them July 12th, you should be hatching right now. Did you mean July 21st?

4. rebeccamariemiller

Dec 9, 2008
    I guess I got mixed up. The incubator has to go on lockdown on the 12. They're due to hatch on the 15th. *update* I'm so mad at myself, I was candling them and I layed one down on the edge of my carpeted desk and it rolled off and broke so bad their was no way to fix it. I am glad I still have 6 still alive (I saw them move) amd one I'm not sure of. I threw out 7 others because they weren't fertilized.

** Two days past when they're supposed to have hatched and nothing yet. They were ok when the incubator went into lockdown. **

Last edited: Aug 17, 2013
  5. rebeccamariemiller

Dec 9, 2008
    *update* no live hatches. There were 4ok eggs left and one was rotten. The other 3 were fine on lockdown but never absorbed the yoke and died. Don't know why.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by