Speckled Sussex

cqranch

Songster
11 Years
Aug 26, 2008
Russellville
Anyone have experience with Speckled Sussex? I wanted to order a Black Australorp roo and minimum order had to be $20, so also ordered 8 sussex pullets and 1 sussex roo They should fit nicely with the BO's, BA's and BR's??

I have speckled sussex and they are great. very good demeanor and get along with all my other birds. I am desperately looking to collect other sussex colors!

I love my sussex, I have a variety of breeds and these are on the friendlier, less skittish side of some of them.
They get along well with all the others.
I have a sussex that is very curious, no matter what you are doing she has to see what you are up to.
She is also nicer to the new pullets than the other chickens are.
I think you will be very happy with them.

I just hatched my first SS earlier last spring. They are quickly becoming some of my favorite chickens. They are very friendly and curious. They tolerate being picked up the best of any of my chickens. I'm a little worried about the young roos I've got tho....not aggressive yet really, but it's seeming like there might be a tendency towards that. I hope they don't get mean as I'd like to be able to sell some hatching eggs from them.

cqranch, there are some light and buff sussex on ebay right now. I don't know anything about them, but the pics are pretty.
smile.png

I have a pair of them and I hatched 1 chick this summer and every morning it flies on to my arm. I love this breed very much.
yoker

I think SS are a very nice breed. Mine have been very friendly, and as someone else said, they will let me pick them up. I didn't keep any roos, but they were very friendly as youngsters.

SS are supposed to be good winter layers, and mine lay a medium size egg, but they are still young.

Love my SS. My friend has a tradition of naming every single SS she's ever had over the years "Curious Hen." AlsoI find mine to be completely and refreshingly uninterested in the pecking order, unmolested and unmolesting. Just excellent birds.

Quote:
Wow I thought I was just seeing things when I felt like my ss were totally uninterested in the pecking order. When mama OE hen fusses at them come roosting time, they just ignore her and set where they please! It is a hoot.

We really love our Speckled Sussex, got 5 in our last order from Murray McMurray.
One has speckles all over and one is almost speckle free, the rest normal.
They are some-of the sweetest hen's we have.

BA

Back
Top Bottom