Speckled Sussex?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by LeanneP, Feb 24, 2015.

1. LeanneP

LeanneP Out Of The Brooder

Jul 19, 2014
    Kenansville, NC
    Are these two Speckled Sussex chicks? I have a lot of "chipmunks" so I've narrowed it down as best I could to these two because they have the whiteish/pinkish (not yellow) legs and white on the wings. They are also more brown and chestnut than the ones I believe to be EE and Welsummers.

I'm sorry one of the pics is so blurry (hard to keep them still!) but it best shows the white on their wings, so I'm going to throw it in there.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. JecaRaven

JecaRaven Out Of The Brooder

May 1, 2014
    Hanford, California
    The lady I bought mine from, told her apart by looking at the patterns around their eyes. She said that the ones with the long eyeliner markings were the speckled Sussex. I took one home so I hope she's right. I hope this might help.
    [​IMG] the dark one is my speckled sussex

Last edited: Feb 24, 2015
  3. LeanneP

Jul 19, 2014
    Kenansville, NC
    The eyeliner is almost the same between these, the Welsummers and those I suspect to be EE's.

Do you happen to have a pic of it that I could reference?

4. LeanneP

Jul 19, 2014
    Kenansville, NC
    There is also this pair, but I was thinking they may be Phoenix. They have more grayish tone to their edges.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. dekel18042

dekel18042 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2013
    Pennsylvania
    I often have a terrible time telling babies apart. And all of those breeds, can be similar. The EE's should (operative word being "should" ) have greenish/greyish legs, not yellow.
    Don't know if your babies are straight run or sexed, but the welsumer girls should be wearing what looks like eyeliner with a darker straight line back from the eye. (That is a welsumer in my avator photo) The boys' lines, are much lighter and often broken up.) Those that don't fit either category or you see any lighter spots might be your speckled Sussex. Time will tell.

6. LeanneP

Jul 19, 2014
    Kenansville, NC
    I have to be as sure as I possibly can with these. All of the rest I don't have to worry too much about because they're mine, but I got a SS for my goddaughter and they live in the city and aren't allowed roosters. I had to get straight run Welsummers, so I am not giving her those, just the SS I need to be sure of. I had no idea they were as similar as they are! Hopefully by Sunday when I take them to her I'll have it! [​IMG] She's only 6 and I don't want to have her love them and then have to trade her later!

7. dekel18042

dekel18042 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2013
    Pennsylvania
    You should be able to sex the straight run welsumers.

8. JecaRaven

JecaRaven Out Of The Brooder

May 1, 2014
    Hanford, California
    Scarlet will be two weeks old this Thursday, so she's a little older than your babies. She didn't want to stay still so this is the best picture I could get of her. (I think it is a her)
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  9. LeanneP

Jul 19, 2014
    Kenansville, NC
    I can't even be sure I can pick the out of the bunch LOL I just *think* I know!

10. LeanneP

Jul 19, 2014
    Kenansville, NC
    Thank you so much! Seeing the wings is so very helpful! I've been trying to imagine it, but that just confuses me more. She is adorable, BTW!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by