1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Speckledhen (Cyn), I candled...good news!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Sherriekim, Jan 25, 2008.

1. Sherriekim

Sherriekim Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2007
    Southwest Idaho
    Looks like I got four Blue Orps, two Americauna and one of the Blue Orp/Brahma's looks good with the other a definate "maybe", but for some reason, none of the Barred Rocks looks like they are developing. [​IMG] why that is, but no complaints here, I'm tickled with the results! Great hatch for being shipped that far. Ohh, knock on wood, don't want to count my chickens before they hatch! [​IMG] I'll candle again around day 14 and will let you know how it goes. Oh, Jody, if you read this, I finally charged the battery to my camera today just so I could post a picture of one of my/your EE, he (based on attitude! LOL) is the color of milk choclate and has the cutest "muffs" on his cheeks, absolutely adorable! [​IMG]

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Somehow, I missed this post, Kim! Wow, none of the BRs? Odd. You just never know sometimes why-one person, like ZuniBee had 20 out of 21 fertile, although one developed a blood ring, and then on your end, it happens like it did. Well, whenever you like, I can send you more BRs. I think I have other girls fertile now, so it'd be easier to get eggs from more than one girl.

3. Sherriekim

Sherriekim Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2007
    Southwest Idaho
    Wow, I would love to get 20 out of 21 to hatch, but as far as I'm concerned, if I get 50% out of shipped eggs, that is a great hatch! Sure beats 0% and with shipped eggs that can happen. I'm not concerned about the Barred Rocks not developing, it's more of "Humm, I wonder why that is?" Could be alot of things, none of which have to do with your eggs or packaging. Could be the Barred Rocks were on the side of the package that got dropped, closest to the x-ray machine when they scanned something else (LOL), etc.... it could even have something to do with my incubator as they were all in the same row. I certainly don't think you need to send me more eggs. I had my heart set on a Blue Orp and I've got four of those developing and it looks like both the Blue Orp/Brahma crosses are developing as well as the two Americauna. I'm more than happy with that. [​IMG]

4. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

You could be right about what side of the package they were on. I try not to put all of one breed on the same side of a package for that very reason, but I don't remember what I did with yours. STILL, if you want more Barred Rocks, you just say the word! [​IMG] I'm glad the others are developing. Crossing fingers that they make it all the way through!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by