Speckledhen...Domino Final update Pg 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cetawin

Rest in Peace 1963-2021
11 Years
Mar 20, 2008
NW Kentucky
First, thank you so much, as always, for listening, giving me feedback, thoughts, opinions, advice and chuckles.

I took a good look down her throat (which I might add was a feat in itself) with a good light...whatever is stuck down there is way down. Too far for me to attempt to reach
sad.png
I wonder if letting her have the piece of scrambled egg yesterday when I thought she was just under the weather has caused more harm.
sad.png

I have kept her in warm and in the dark so hopefully she will not lay and stress herself.

I have used a syringe and squirted about 1/8 - 1/4 cc into her beak (on top tip of her tongue) and she swallowed it with no problems. She will drink water from the chick waterer fine also. I did that three times, about an hour and half apart.

So, as of now, her crop feels normal but a bit small which I attribute to her not eating much yesterday or today. Her water has electrolytes/vitamins in it and she has been given oil. She is not looking better but not doing the neck/heave thing. Still no wheezing, coughing, gurgling, notta.

Within the last 20 minutes or so, she allowed water to run out of her mouth and did not swallow it. So, I think I should keep at this regime and try getting some tiny tiny pieces of scrambled egg in her or not? I did speak to the vet and he said that with whatever it is being that far down, that it would a surgical thing...he also said it would be very risky having no idea where or what the obstruction is. Or for sure knowing that is thr problem. What do you think?

I will not have her suffering or put through a bunch of stuff. This is my little parrot birdie and I love her too much to do that to her. I am almost of the mindset that If she does not improve by tomorrow midday, I may be forced to cull her. I will not allow her to sit here and starve to death.

So...thoughts? Opinions?

Once again, thanks as always for being so helpful and understanding.

This is my little girl that is in trouble
hit.gif

HPIM3369Small.jpg

Domino3.jpg

Last edited:
Oh, poor little girl, bless her heart! I am at a loss still. I cant think of anything it could be except some sort of obstruction in her trachea. We went over all those things to do with the crop, worms, egg issues, etc. I just dont see it as any of those things. Anyone else have any ideas here?

I am so ready to pull my hair out. I am beside myself. I cannot for the life of me find anything else. There is no lumpy area in her abdomen, no sour smell, no hard impact crop, no airy squishy baloon feeling crop, her poo is good, no coughing, no wheezing, no gasping no notta that would indicate a problem..just the neck stretching thing where it looks like she is trying to throw up. And the keeping her eyes closed of course. She will look at me and turn her head when I pick her up or pet her.

Poor thing, I cannot stand seeing her like this and being helpless. I just do not know whatelse to do.

When I look down her throat, her throat is clear and open so it has to be down in her neck/windpipe area and I cannot see anything as far as I can see...even if I could I could not get it because it would be too far down.
hu.gif

I do not mind paying the vet for the house call but of there is nothing he can do and he is only going to cause her more stress and duress I see no reason for it. I am not going to put her through someone hurting her or killing her trying to find the problem.

So what the blue blazes do I do?

Poor girl this is how she looks right now
sad.png

7630_domino2326.jpg

Last edited:
Thank you ladies. It means alot to have folks around that understand how it feels and also that cannot think of anything else to try.

I am going to keep trying to get oil and water down her...a scramled egg cut into tiny pieces. maybe she can eat a little of it.

It is heartbreaking when she was up standing and eating last night but cannot do it now.
sad.png
I have made a mush of her food to almost liquid form and gotten that down. So I am not going to give up yet. But tomorrow, I will if she is not showing improvement...I just will not have her suffer I do not have the heart to do that.

For now, she is resting quietly on Cheyenne's bed and she has the soundtrack of "titanic" playing softly on her CD player. That is what the girls had playing for them constantly when they were chicks and in the brooder. Cheyenne insists that any injured or sick girls stay with her where she can watch them. She gives water from her fingertip and food that way too. She has given Domino her own little blanket and has her either on her bed or in a plastic tote beside the bed. I do not have the heart to make other arrangements. If Domino is comfortable, getting pats, quiet and being cared for, I cannot think of a better place for her to be. The household noises and activity are not affecting her so she is at least resting.

Last edited:
Hi, I'm sorry that your chicken isn't feeling well. Just reading that reminded me of a pony we had a long time ago. He was really old and he started drinking and it would just pour back out his nose. It ended up being a tumor or cancer that was blocking his esophagus.
So I have one suggestion, I wonder if you can pass a tube down into her crop. If a surgical or medical supply store has one, I'd be talking about a 10 to 12 french feeding tube. A soft tube that's not any thicker than a straw. I would think that something like aquarium bubble tubing, or any other suggestion that anyone has. But I would certainly try to pass a tube.

I have said extra prayers for you and Domino. I can only imagine how you must feel. Domino is very lucky to have found such a wonderful mother. Please let us know if anything changes or if you need more special prayers.
hugs.gif

We gave our BR pedialyte - 5cc every 45 mins, more if she would take it.

We get it, Cetawin. We do.
hit.gif

May Domino be surrounded by love and her adoring owners.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom