Speckledhen here is your Barred Rock fix for today

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by scgamecock, Feb 14, 2009.

1. scgamecock

scgamecock Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2008
    Conway SC
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

These are almost two years old and they are laying huge egg's right now.The Roo is my best buddy Moses who is their flock protector.I know they are just considered "mutts" but the Ideal Gold Sex Link girl in one of the pictures looks very attractive in her new duds for the year.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2009
  2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Nice boy you have. I cannot ask for better roosters than my BR boys. And the girls' eggs are usually huge after they're a year old, like you said.

3. chasitypearl

chasitypearl Out Of The Brooder

Feb 4, 2009
    i have a couple br myself they are only about 9 months old they are a preety chicken i love your rooster

4. BellLisamo

BellLisamo Diagnosed w/ Muscovitis

Feb 7, 2009
    Tombstone, AZ
    awww barred rocks are sooo handsome and pretty.
    i have a barred cochin.
    i love love love him. here he is...

[​IMG]

some of you may have seen this one before...
    [​IMG]

hes so gentle and easy going. is it the barred rock personality???

5. addiedunn

addiedunn Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 12, 2008
    Martinsville, IN
    They are very nice looking birds. Is a gold sex link the same as a golden comet? She looks a little like my golden comet, granny. She is my favorite hen and we only named her granny because she looked so rough when we got her. Roosters were tearing her up. But then she began to molt and she came through her molt beautifully. I just wondered if the gold sex link was the same as a golden comet...
    Here is granny now:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    We just love her. And she follows me everywhere when I'm out back. But, so as not to hijack your post, here is our BR, also....
    [​IMG]

6. speckledhen

Yes the gold sexlink is called a Golden Comet by some. Same cross. Marlon your girls are very chunky, as they should be. Love my BR ladies, too, as you know. I have 10 of them.

7. scgamecock

Jan 18, 2008
    Conway SC
    There are several different crosses of red sexlinks.The few that I have are all Ideal's gold sexlinks which are a RIR over a RIW hen.They also have a Red and Brown sexlink they sell.Cynthia my Barred Rocks are just Ideal hatchery birds and they have their flaws but they are excellent egg layers and these girls have gone thru a full body molt this winter and have started their second laying season.Moses is just the best.He is always so calm and is always in control.He doesn't lose his cool and if their's a problem he promptly find out what's wrong and then goes about his business like a cool kat. lol I wouldn't take $100 for him right now and I only paid $1.50 for him on chick day two years ago.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2009
  8. speckledhen

Marlon, my two oldest girls, Lexie and Ivy, are Ideal girls. I love them dearly, though each has flaws typical of some hatchery stock. Hawkeye was supposedly from McMurray and Dutch is his son with my Lexie. Together, they produced some sons and daughter who are better than their parents. ZuniBee and FrontPorchIndiana have two of Hawkeye's sons who are, IMO, excellent quality BRs. Hawkeye had a very deep body, not all that common in hatchery birds, though his barring was messy and his legs a teensy bit too short. Dutch looks just like him in body type, though he has better leg length and better barring. Mace takes after Lexie, more slender body, but both are very amiable, sweet boys. And you know how friendly Zane is.
    My two youngest BR girls, Zoe and Margaret, are from Hawkeye with my Amanda. Amanda, like the rest of my BR girls, except Lex and Ivy, came from helmstead's flock.

9. scgamecock

Jan 18, 2008
    Conway SC
    Moses and his buddy Elijah who is my other Barred Rock roo are the only roo's in their pen now and have been for a week.I rehomed the other one who was a mix last Saturday so in a couple of weeks I could possibly have some pure Barred Rock egg's.There are some RIR's and Black sexlinks in their pen and I'm getting an average of 10 to 12 jumbo egg's a day from 15 girls.I think the BR girls have much prettier plumage since they molted.They just remind me so much of my Great Grandmother when I was a child when she had chickens.Of course they called them "domminickers" but they are what I think of when I think old timey chickens.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by