Speckledhen or anyone**QUESTION on Checking a hygrometer

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Farmer Kitty, May 5, 2008.

1. Farmer Kitty

Farmer Kitty Flock Mistress

Sep 18, 2007
    Wisconsin
    I found this:
    Calabrating hydrometer-from Speckledhen.

1. You can calibrate a hydrometer by mixing in a bowl 1/4 cup of salt in 1/2 cup water.
    2.Place bowl inside a zip lock baggie with your hydrometer. After at least 8 hours, your hygrometer should read 75%.
    3. If it says, for example 80% you know that it is reading 5% to high and then you can make adjustments in your readings

and tried on one but, I have one in the bator I wanted to leave there. Now that I have one checked and can put that one in can I use the same mix or do I need to make a new batch of salt solution?

Last edited: May 5, 2008
  2. Farmer Kitty

Sep 18, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Anyone?

3. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I think you can use the same mixture, but I think the water and salt amts are backward in that formula I wrote. You really want wet sand consistency, so there should be less water than salt. It doesn't have to be exact, though. I've since found some formulas that say place a teaspoon or so of salt in the shallow container and add a few drops of water - just enough to get it wet. Remember, you don't want a salt water solution, just damp salt. That wastes alot less salt!

Last edited: May 5, 2008
  4. Plain_View_Farm

Plain_View_Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2008
    Central Virginia
    Could you just use wet sand?

David

5. Farmer Kitty

Sep 18, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Quote:Thank you!