Speckledhen what gender signs on young BR

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by KKluckers, Oct 29, 2007.

1. KKluckers

KKluckers Time Out

Sep 4, 2007
    Hes head spot is big. Real big. Here are some pictures tell me what you think. I know its not a forsure thing. [​IMG]

One from your flock Lexie and Hawkeye
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is mine hatched from a cochin looking hen (green eggs) and my BR roo. Can you tell with the mixed? It has some faint barring.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My husbands friend probably ginxed me. He wanted my barred rock roo I told him he could have this one if it was a roo. So he told me he would be back in a few months to pick him up lol.

2. barg

barg Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2007
    Ok, I'm not spekled hen, but I'll take a stab and say, Pullet Pullet, despite the head spots and based on the legs ( the two features contradict each other) but thats my guess and since they are both mixes, I'd say its as good a guess as any, but I guess we will get more info when the expert chimes in [​IMG]

Added: Re-read it, guess the first one isnt a mix but a strait BR?
    Tough call with those bars and head spot , but I'll stay with Pullet. - always go with the long shot [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 30, 2007
  3. thndrdancr

thndrdancr Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2007
    Belleville, Kansas
    Well, I cant say I am an expert, but I have a big sister to your br. [​IMG]

She IS a pullet, but did have huge feet and big comb and pretty large spot. This doesnt show it all that well, but one indication for me was that she started getting tail feathers on the 3rd to 4th day!

[​IMG]

Jill

4. theOEGBman

theOEGBman Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    Central California
    If you havent followed the Lexie Story from the start, you just wont get it,lol. Everyone thought she was a cockeral for the longest time. I think she's got a thing for the big headspots. Just give it some time. The headspots are not a sure thing anyways.

5. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Barg, that first one is not a mix, but a pure Barred Rock. Her others are mixes, I believe she meant.
    You really have to combine all three-lighter color, headspot and black wash down the front of the legs. With Lexie's babies, most of the time, you need to wait a bit to be certain you have a boy because Lexie herself, except for some black wash down the front of her leg, looked just like a cockerel till almost 12 weeks old. I'd say the first one is pullet, because the color is darker than a cockerel and there is black on the front of the legs.
    Christina, not sure if all would hold true with a mix, but that looks like a pullet to me, too. And yes, Lexie's daughters have big feet!

6. KKluckers

KKluckers Time Out

Sep 4, 2007
    Thanks everyone [​IMG] I hope its a pullet my BR roo outside is going to be really upset If his future girllfriends end up being boys lol. Little Lilly looks a lot like my pure BR does. I guess just wait and see.

7. thndrdancr

Mar 30, 2007
    Belleville, Kansas
    Little Lily probably looks a lot like her, cuz she is her older sister. [​IMG] Even down to that silly little beak spot, and speckled feet!
    I told Lily she has sisters all over the country now!
    Country, you are in for a treat, Cyn's little br's are the craziest, most curious, silly little things you have ever encountered. Watch out come feeding time tho, wow. That little girl, I was getting some oatmeal ready for them and she jumped clear up on the kitchen counter yesterday. I say feeding time, cuz I cant seem to keep that girl in food. I feed them 4 times a day! sigh....What a hog. I think I could teach that chick all kinds of tricks for food, she is that big of a piglet.

8. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Aw, but don't you just love that little barred bag of personality? Temperament is what I love about Lexie, Hawkeye and all their children. I have a new little son and daughter of Hawkeye in the brooder right now and they will probably both stay. That cockerel is a huge butterball of a chick!

9. thndrdancr

Mar 30, 2007
    Belleville, Kansas
    barred bag of personality, I like that. That she is, alright. I might have to start calling her Houdiniette. It doesnt matter what I have her in, she seems to find a spot to escape. Crazy lil thing. Only thing that keeps her in control is she has fallen in love with Dash (finally) and wont go very far without her. (Either that, or she doesnt want Dash telling on her..."peeeep, peeeeep, I want OUT TOO") [​IMG]

I cant put them outside, cuz they cry, and Dash cant take the chill. After about an hour, she is shaking and shivering so bad she runs up and jumps under my coat and wont even peep her head out. Lily doesnt want to be out there by her lonesone either. sigh....housechickens!

10. KKluckers

KKluckers Time Out

Sep 4, 2007
    They are little piggys lol. I love the personality of the BR they are one of my favorite standard breeds.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by