Speckles got attacked, just back from the animal hospital....

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Plucky Pullet, Oct 30, 2010.

1. Plucky Pullet

Plucky Pullet Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2010
    I left my chickens out to free roam while I popped out to my DD school (5 minutes away), in the meantime my DH got home and immediately let our Boston Terrier out to go to the bathroom. I have to start by saying we've had chicken and dog out together before (actually quite a few times before) & the dog hasn't so much as sniffed them.
    Not today. Something got up the dogs nose, I guess, and he took it out on my girl Specks. DH found her laying on her side, eyes shut, feather everywhere, not moving. As soon as I got back he was on his way to the animal hospital to have her checked over, she was unsteady but alive.
    I am so mad at my dog right now. I am also mad at myself for thinking that since he hadn't shown any hint of prey drive before doesn't mean he doesn't have it in him. I also have come to reason he was only playing with her, the way a young dog will play. Granted Specks is very shaken, she has some abrasions to her head, some very slobbery feathers she is otherwise ok. Dr gave me cephalexin caps to dust her food with for two weeks to prevent infection.
    I still feel awful and am blaming myself that I almost got my chickie killed. I know it could have turned out so much worse and I am counting that girls lucky stars (and mine) that my dog hadn't any intention of killing her.
    Right now Specks is currently sleeping in my DD's room (confined in a carrier) with food and water. She is still very lethargic and not moving or talking too much, so I thought a few nights of being inside the house; quiet and warm should help prevent the shock from being any worse.
    Please send lots of get well thoughts her way!!!

2. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Sending LOTS of get well thoughts right now!

3. TigerLilly

TigerLilly I failed Chicken Math

Jul 18, 2010
    Central Florida
    Don't be so hard on yourself. This, unfortunately, is how we learn some of life's lessons. And hopefully Speckles will return to her normal healthy self in no time.

4. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    I recommend you feed her plain yogurt (probiotic) mixed with scrambled egg (extra protein) and give it to speckles to eat. The abrasions can be cleaned with 50/50 water/betadine mixture and put neosporin without pain reliever on them. You're correct, she's in shock...but she needs to come out of it soon or you'll have to force feed her to keep her strength up. When she starts eating, her recovery should be quick and the isolation you've provided will help with her healing. Good luck.

5. Mattemma

Mattemma Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    Hope she makes it. Lifeway Kefir is another good probiotic drink.10 good bacteria per bottle. Speedy healings and understandable feelings about the dog. I love my dogs,but at the same time know they could *turn* at any time.

6. Plucky Pullet

Plucky Pullet Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2010
    She will get some scrambled egg tonight with her antibiotic capsule on it.
    This morning she was up and clucking so she is out free ranging with my other 2 birds, I am going to bring her in at night though for the next few nights so she can be confined and warm while eating.
    Thanks for all your support, she is such a good bird!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by