specks in the egg

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Gunnygranny, Jan 27, 2010.

1. Gunnygranny

Gunnygranny Out Of The Brooder

Dec 2, 2009
    Western slope
    Had something interesting happen yesterday. We give our girls table scraps from our fav Chinese restaurant - and in the scraps are pepper flakes. Yesterday in one of the eggs was a part of a pepper flake --really -- no it wasn’t blood -- it was a pepper flake. I dug it out of the egg to make sure.
    Now I googled egg formation and couldn’t find any place that told me how “specks” not only of the pepper, but other “specks” get into an egg.
    So how does it happen?????

Gunnygranny (aka - Rita)

2. GreenGoddess

GreenGoddess Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2009
    St Pauls, NC
    If pepper goes through their system, they poop it out.. If there is a speck or two of pepper (or other things) left on their vent, it can get "sucked" in just like the sperm of a roo does.. (they don't actually have intercourse).. Therefore, if it gets sucked back in it can get into the egg making mechanism of the hen and actually make it into the egg... Hope this helps.. [​IMG]

Goddess [​IMG]

3. Gunnygranny

Gunnygranny Out Of The Brooder

Dec 2, 2009
    Western slope
    Thats very interesting -- I knew the shell didn't develop until after the "egg" moved down but I just never thought about something getting "sucked" back up. Thanks for the info -- so much to learn!!
    Rita

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by