Speedy girl is sick!

LeaP2010

In the Brooder
Mar 21, 2020
A few days ago, I noticed my Speedy girl laying in the middle of the run, she still tried to run from me when I tried to pick her up but I was able to get her . . . twice . . . which is not normal for her at all. I was petting her and she spit up some water that she had just sipped but nothing like that since. She is the spazziest chicken of the flock and she has really slowed down. I separated her the same day I noticed she was laying down and that her comb was pale. I gave her her own food and water and have been checking on her a few times a day. She hasn't laid an egg and she hasn't really been eating or drinking.

Today I noticed she had been laying down more, so I took her inside to do a warm water bath to see if she was egg bound. I've noticed that she seems to have been trying to lay or poop every time I look but she hasn't laid an egg in at least 3 days. She loved the warm water bath and even drank some of the water and ate a few pellets of food which was encouraging but when I took her out and dried her off with the hair dryer, she settled down. She has been napping and I've been loving on her over the last hour or so but now she can't stand up. She seems a little swollen below her belly towards her vent and I've tried to help her stand but she just falls over.

I don't know what to do. I'm about 85% certain that it's an egg but not really sure how else to help her. No one else in the flock is sick and everyone has had food and water access the same as her. She's not getting bullied and I don't see any wounds or signs of infection respiratory or otherwise

Help!

I would give her some calcium. 1 Caltrate or Tums. She may be having a problem laying a soft shelled egg.

The swelling of the abdomen is concerning - she may have laid internally or possibly has another reproductive like peritonitis, a mass, salpingitis, etc. Any of these can cause pressure on the nerve of the legs causing lameness or not being able to walk.

Do the best you can to keep her hydrated and eating.
Hopefully she will be able to bounce back at least for a while. I'm not trying to sound discouraging - it all really just depends on what has taken place.

Back
Top Bottom