1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Spekledhen or anyone, what sex are these?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by marie_martin, Apr 7, 2008.

1. marie_martin

marie_martin Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2007
    Grenada, MS
    Bantam Barred Rocks. 4 days old today

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Tell me what you think. They are all about the same size and about the same color. One of them has a little lighter legs with barely any shading on the front and the white spot is a tiny bit bigger but nothing definitive. The other 3 have shading on the fronts of the legs and not much of a spot at all. Any ideas? Do I have all roos.

Marie

Last edited: Apr 8, 2008
  2. shmooborp

shmooborp artistic fowlism

could beeeeeee..... BR chicks.. just cuz of spot on head.. try putting pix of side profile

3. ella

ella Chillin' With My Peeps

A small defined headspot and dark legs would indicate females.

In the first pic the one bottom left looks like it could be a male and POSSIBLY the one above him the other two look female based on coloring.

Barred Rock color sexing certainly isn't 100% accurate though. [​IMG]

4. ella

ella Chillin' With My Peeps

Second look seems like it's just glare from the light. I'd say the only possibly male one is the bottom left the others all look female colored. [​IMG]

5. beefy

beefy Flamingo Daddy-o

Apr 21, 2007
    South Georgia
    i think they are probably all females. if anyone is a male i would guess the front left. the leg pics you showed me all look female except maybe one and even that one may be a girl. it looked like it had some dark washes in spots too. i would say you definitely 3 girls and probably 4. they are all about the same shade of black, roos tend to be more silveryish.

6. Dustin Biery

Dustin Biery Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2007
    Mulberry, Arkansas
    I think you have two of each... Females on the right, males on the left in top pic

7. marie_martin

Feb 21, 2007
    Grenada, MS
    Thanks for your help. At least we all agree that I have at least a couple females. So that is good considering I think 90% of my silkies are roos. I am going to add the pics of the feet up by the appropriate head shot to see if that helps. I did take them, just did not post them. Guess I should have huh?

Thanks again.

Marie

The one on the left at the bottom is the only one with a perfectly round spot, that is just her fat neck sticking up and the flash hit it I guess? I think it is a girl out of them all? But what do I know.

Marie

Last edited: Apr 8, 2008
  8. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

You have at least one pretty definite cockerel and one pretty definite pullet. As Ella said, it isn't 100% accurate, but pretty close to 90% or so. Usually, it's a girl that looks like a boy rather than the other way around, but you never know.

9. marie_martin

Feb 21, 2007
    Grenada, MS
    Thanks. I will take more pics later and see if we have a better idea. I know those did not come out as clear as I had hoped. Thanks though. A couple of the ones that died were much lighter colored so I know they were probably roos. But these are all about the same color. Hard to tell in the pics but they are.

Anyway, thanks again.

Marie

10. silkieluvr

silkieluvr Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2007
    Marin, California
    Yay! You have at least two, most likely 3 pullets from what I can see. Lately I have been hatching a lot of quads from my quad...coincidence I think not! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by