Spekledhen or anyone, what sex are these?

marie_martin

Songster
12 Years
Feb 21, 2007
Grenada, MS
Bantam Barred Rocks. 4 days old today

IMG_0836.jpg

IMG_0832.jpg

IMG_0833.jpg

IMG_0827.jpg

IMG_0828.jpg

IMG_0829.jpg

IMG_0830.jpg

IMG_0825.jpg

IMG_0826.jpg

Tell me what you think. They are all about the same size and about the same color. One of them has a little lighter legs with barely any shading on the front and the white spot is a tiny bit bigger but nothing definitive. The other 3 have shading on the fronts of the legs and not much of a spot at all. Any ideas? Do I have all roos.

Marie

Last edited:
A small defined headspot and dark legs would indicate females.

In the first pic the one bottom left looks like it could be a male and POSSIBLY the one above him the other two look female based on coloring.

Barred Rock color sexing certainly isn't 100% accurate though.
smile.png

i think they are probably all females. if anyone is a male i would guess the front left. the leg pics you showed me all look female except maybe one and even that one may be a girl. it looked like it had some dark washes in spots too. i would say you definitely 3 girls and probably 4. they are all about the same shade of black, roos tend to be more silveryish.

Thanks for your help. At least we all agree that I have at least a couple females. So that is good considering I think 90% of my silkies are roos. I am going to add the pics of the feet up by the appropriate head shot to see if that helps. I did take them, just did not post them. Guess I should have huh?

Thanks again.

Marie

The one on the left at the bottom is the only one with a perfectly round spot, that is just her fat neck sticking up and the flash hit it I guess? I think it is a girl out of them all? But what do I know.

Marie

Last edited:
You have at least one pretty definite cockerel and one pretty definite pullet. As Ella said, it isn't 100% accurate, but pretty close to 90% or so. Usually, it's a girl that looks like a boy rather than the other way around, but you never know.

Thanks. I will take more pics later and see if we have a better idea. I know those did not come out as clear as I had hoped. Thanks though. A couple of the ones that died were much lighter colored so I know they were probably roos. But these are all about the same color. Hard to tell in the pics but they are.

Anyway, thanks again.

Marie

Back
Top Bottom