thechickenwhisperer

In the Brooder
12 Years
Apr 4, 2007
coming to a farm near you...
Whoo hoo-this is NOT going to be popular
big_smile.png
!

Is it me, or does it seem like a HUGE majority of people have trouble SPELLING here?

The most common being: there and their.

"THERE" means 'over here or over there', as in PLACEMENT of something or a DIRECTION-'I'll put my keys down THERE'.

"THEIR" shows POSSESION-'That is THEIR car, not mine'.

"THEY'RE" means THEY ARE-like, 'they are going to the store soon', or 'THEY'RE here!' (as in chicks).

Like I said, it won't be popular
big_smile.png
! BUT...seems as if chicken peeps have trouble capitalizing, punctuating, paragraphing, and just plain old have a hard time spelling.

To the mods: It seems as if a spellcheck option for posting would be a HUGE help in giving the appearance that poultry folks are educated beyond what specialized care chickens need (how to treat for diseases, hatching help, DE, etc).

grabbing fire gear...
permission granted to aim and fire...
big_smile.png

Last edited:
At the risk of being placed in front of a firing (and, I went to Webster's online to look the spelling up on that one) squad myself.........AMEN!!!! I get so irritated when I find misspellings in owner's manuals, etc.

Edited to add:

Typos happen, and everyone understands that. As a medical transcriptionist, in all fairness, spelling is essential.

Last edited by a moderator:
Probably an unnecessary post- as there is a spell check, at least to the degree that misspelled words are underlined. However, checking for grammar and punctuation? Nope. It may be annoying to read, but I don't think many of us really mind typo's and grammatical errors...
Those that do mind, keep it to themselves and go on enjoying the site.
Btw- this probably should have been posted over in The Social Side. General Discussion is for chicken- related posts that do not fall neatly into one of the established categories. The Social Side is for everything else...

Do yourself a favor and skip my posts if it bother's you that much.....I missed that part of grammer school.....and half the time one to three kids are climbing on me as I type one/two finger......

Man we're getting so 'proper' around here lately
roll.png
tongue.png
wink.png

Wow accidental! Then I must not have a problem with spelling, as I have NEVER seen this underline you mention.

And if the most that can be offered is that I posted in the "wrong area", then I must be hitting the nail on the head.

And yes, I DO still enjoy the site-my opinion is that spell check would help greatly, and if chicken people only care about their (correct usage of their
smile.png
) chickens, and not attempting to come across as educated in relation to spelling/language, then...so be it-to each his/her own.

See, I knew I'd need the fire gear
big_smile.png

When I was in the second grade, we had a spelling test and one of the words was "off", well I spelled it "oof". My teacher brought it to the attention of the entire class, I was soooo embarrassed. But it did make me a good speller.

However, I have noticed when I am writing a post my fingers don't always hit the right keys. If you all can overlook me, and I thank you for that, I can certainly overlook you.
big_smile.png

I don't think we need to pick apart spelling and grammar. We can usually figure out what the person means and if we can't we can ask.
Typos happen.

To the mods: It seems as if a spellcheck option for posting would be a HUGE help in giving the appearance that poultry folks are educated beyond what specialized care chickens need (how to treat for diseases, hatching help, DE, etc).

The place to request that feature is in the BYC Forum /Feedback area. There is a thread for requested features. Education or lack of it doesn't take away from knowledge. What takes away from knowledge is not seeing past the post to get the knowledge you seek.
wink.png

Fire gear off...

Certainly Sherry-you are officially pardoned by the chickenwhisperer
big_smile.png

I agree, fingers do trip, I was thinking more along the lines of help with correct usage and outright spelling issues.

Fire gear on...

cool.png

I'm simply saying that spelling is really no big issue. We are friendly here- no need for senseless picking on anyone. Yes, it gets annoying sometimes, but so do many other things. Lots of people here from lots of different places...try and be a bit more tolerant and accepting.

This is it for me, as I see this thread going nowhere good.

Keep in mind, Whisperer, if a teacher embarrasses a student now in front of the class, said teacher is sued and required to pay for therapy for that student as long as it may be needed.
lol.png

In everything in life there is a lesson we need to learn. While, like you, bad spelling and bad grammer is a pet peeve of mine, I figure this is where I learn not to let it get to me. It always feels good to learn the current lesson and move on to the next.
smile.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom