spelling and pronunciation

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by jontowns, Jan 16, 2009.

1. jontowns

jontowns Out Of The Brooder

Jan 11, 2009
    What is correct? cortunix or coturnix ?????

I was told the first spelling is pronounced CORT n knee and the second

co TOUR nix. Can someone please enlighten me? tia

2. flyingmonkeypoop

flyingmonkeypoop Overrun With Chickens

Apr 30, 2007
    Deer Park Washington
    Everyone around here says Co-turn-ix

3. monarc23

monarc23 Coturnix Obsessed

Jul 18, 2008
    Indiana, Pennsylvania
    It's Said CO TUR NIX and spelled COTURNIX. I hear so many pepole say CORTNIX and it gets under my skin haha but its' not their fault mis-information flies around a lot with these birds [​IMG]

4. flyingmonkeypoop

Apr 30, 2007
    Deer Park Washington
    I have also heard people say corch in inx, I have no clue how they get that pronunciation from that.

5. Wolf-Kim

Wolf-Kim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2008
    Quote:From hearing other people who mumble say "cortunix". LOL That would be my guess anyway. That's probably how the spelling of "Cortunix" started flying around.

I was looking at an ebay auction and the person continually spelled it "Coturnex." [​IMG] I wasn't sure if I wanted to buy hatching eggs from a person who didn't know how to spell what they were selling. [​IMG]

I've always spelled it Coturnix and pronounced it "co-turn-icks".

-Kim

6. flyingmonkeypoop

Apr 30, 2007
    Deer Park Washington
    The people that cant spell right make me chuckle sometimes. There was an arabian horse on craigslist today and they spelled it aerabiyen, made me wonder if it was that or a cross.

7. Wolf-Kim

Wolf-Kim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2008
    Quote:[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

I have to admit that's quite an interesting way to spell it. It's strange how many people do not understand the powers of Google. [​IMG]

-Kim

8. monarc23

monarc23 Coturnix Obsessed

Jul 18, 2008
    Indiana, Pennsylvania
    Quote:^^^ that's my thoughts exactly. I dont know how someone can buy ANY animal from anyone if they dont know anything about them esp the part about spelling. IMO if you breed or raise an animal and are selling it, you surely should know how to take care of it let alone spell its name lol!

Like POMPERANIANS, HAMPSTERS, PHILLYS, German Sheperds....i could go on [​IMG]

9. chickenmum

chickenmum Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 7, 2008
    Quote:^^^ that's my thoughts exactly. I dont know how someone can buy ANY animal from anyone if they dont know anything about them esp the part about spelling. IMO if you breed or raise an animal and are selling it, you surely should know how to take care of it let alone spell its name lol!

Like POMPERANIANS, HAMPSTERS, PHILLYS, German Sheperds....i could go on [​IMG]

Hehe! Isn't it shepherds?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by