Spending Time With the Gals and one Cockeral

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by theoldchick, Jul 19, 2011.

1. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    Stan the Man bows to a hen

[​IMG]

Cardboard Chicken and I have a talk

[​IMG]

These three have a intense converstation about egg laying

[​IMG]

I give Leggs a back rub

[​IMG]

Stan the Man begs for treats

[​IMG]

While my strange but cute Morse Code pecks at the legs of my chair

[​IMG]

They are a happy flock!

[​IMG]

2. TheSpiceGirls

TheSpiceGirls Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2010
    Bay Area, CA
    OMG, I LOVE your Jersey Giants!!! I have one. Her name is Coco. And she's my alpha hen. She's not a lap chicken and doesn't like to be touched. But will come right up to me to take treats out of my hand and talk to me. Such sweet birds.

3. theoldchick

May 11, 2010
    Thank you! I've had mine since they were 2-3 days old and I've spent a lot of time just hanging out with them. Some like to be petted, some don't, and some just want hang out with me.

4. TheSpiceGirls

TheSpiceGirls Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2010
    Bay Area, CA
    We had an incident w/ her a few weeks back. She was usually VERY loud when I came out in the morning to give the treats. I came out one morning and she was silent. Not a peep. First clue that there was a problem. Then I tossed out treats and she just stood in the corner w/ her head and tail down. Oh boy. Big problem. And when I walked up to her, she didn't walk away. She spent the day at the vets office and the best we can come up with is that she ate straw and it fermented in her crop.

Basically, she had bad gas. I kept her inside that evening after picking her up from the vets office. Fed her mashed up feed and banana (banana is her FAVORITE treat). And let me tell you, a gassy chicken in the house is HILARIOUS. She made the most obscene and offensive sounds all night long. The vet gave her something to help break up the straw and gas and move it all through her and the next morning, it started moving. 6 dirty towels later, she was talking and pecking at the dog crate and bossing me around like I'm used to.

I let her out of the crate and she walked right up to my feet and looked up at me like, take me home! And readily let me pick her up and take her out to her sister. It took her a few more days before she was 100% back to normal but she's made a full recovery.

And I feel our bond has changed. It's tighter. It's like she knows that I'm her Flock Mistress and she now comes right up to me. She'll even let me have a quick feel of her crop. I just love her.

I've been giving her more protein. The thought was that perhaps since she's still growing, she may be craving more protein than her sister (who are not JG's) and when I switched her from Grower/Finisher to Layer Rations she's not getting the protein she needs. As a result, she's just putting anything and everything in her beak.

I can't wait for her to fully grow up. She's 6.5 lbs today. I've read that she'll get up to 9 or even 10 lbs. She's HUGE compared to my EE who probably weighs a pound.

5. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

I love theoldchick's photos and narrative descriptions. Just love 'em.

And I love JGs, too. I have two JG roos amongst my surfeit of roosters right now, Bartholomew and Ghost, who are just HUGE fellas. They really need some ladies of their own bulk. (So the fluffy ladies in the flock have told me...) But these boys are just so laid back and mellow.

6. Moonchild

Moonchild Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2010
    Spartanburg,SC
    LOVE JG'S...from my profile pic you can see I have a BlueJG rooster!!! He's a teenager so we are having some pecking order problems but he's learning!!!!! great Pics!!!!!!!

7. theoldchick

May 11, 2010
    Thanks! These JG's have been a great reintroduction for me to get back into chickens. They've been no problem to raise and aren't freaky like some breeds are.

8. enjoyin' my chickens

enjoyin' my chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2011
    Hinesville, Ga
    Beautiful flock. I love Stan the Man. He is such a gentleman.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by