1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Spending your egg money

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Mattemma, Sep 18, 2010.

1. Mattemma

Mattemma Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    What do you buy with the money you get selling eggs?
    I sell for $1.50-$2.00 a dozen.

Sometimes I give it to my kids to spend at the dollar store.Sometimes I will buy a lotto ticket.I usually play the Rolling cash five here in Ohio( usually win $10),so I keep ahead a bit.Ah if only I could win the 100k the girls would be in a posh coop instead of that tarp covered metal can!

I was thinking about selling to the kids school,since half the flock are chickens from the school.Then I would donate the money to the school.Probably to much of a legal issue so I guess I will just stick to selling to neighbors and friends....or giving away.

2. fordmommy

fordmommy Dancing With My Chickens

Jul 16, 2009
    Wisconsin
    I sell mine for $3 a doz. I take mine rummage saling.

3. pbjmaker

pbjmaker Overrun With Chickens

May 9, 2008
    Central Iowa
    When I sell eggs for hatching to the feed store, I just use it to buy feed. I pretty much break even this way. I give away eating eggs when I have extras.

Then again - I live in the city and don't have a ton of chickens [​IMG]

4. purecountrychicken

purecountrychicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2008
    Gray Court, SC
    I use mine to buy feed for my chickens,,cows and goats and any other farm supplies that I need.

5. Steve_of_sandspoultry

Steve_of_sandspoultry Overrun With Chickens

It goes for this

[​IMG]

Or this

[​IMG]

Steve

6. hoppy

hoppy I'm not all fluff

May 5, 2007
    central maine
    Quote:wow steve, you must have some pretty fancy chickens for them to buy you a car! or is it gas money?

7. woodmort

woodmort Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    Oxford NY
    I reinvest it in my sinking fund aka chicken feed.

8. 33yardbirds

33yardbirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2010
    Southern New Jersey
    After feed it goes into our 3 yr old Grandson's ING account that our Daughter has set up for him. Soon he'll be splitting the money with his soon to arrive little sister.

9. Boggy Bottom Bantams

Boggy Bottom Bantams Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2008
    Hahira, GA
    I completely added on to the house,, when we moved it paid for the new septic system, well, new barn, farm improvements, of course all the new bantam,peafowl, turkey and duck pens. It covers the feed bill, power bill, 2 credit cards, and obviously help pay for all our new additions to the bird pens.
    Like Steve, I get feed by the tons though, over 1,000 birds to feed every day

10. Kim_NC

Kim_NC Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2009
    Mt Airy, NC
    We buy feed first ....then feeders, materials for coops or tractors, or more chicks! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by