1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

spent flowers

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by sab, Jan 29, 2011.

1. sab

sab Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 28, 2010
    Ripley, WV
    My Coop
    Hubby brought me a bouquet of tulips before he went into the hospital for knee replacement surgery. And he received cut flowers while there. So I have these spent flowers that I would normally just toss over the hill but got to thinking..... Can the chickens (and a duck) enjoy eating those? Good idea? Bad idea? Any idea???

Thanks in advance....
    Sally

2. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

No. Don't feed them. There are often floral preservatives used. They wouldn't be suitable for your chickens.

(I don't know if the tulips could be eaten by fowl if there were not preservatives.)

Last edited: Jan 29, 2011
  3. sab

sab Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 28, 2010
    Ripley, WV
    My Coop
    Thanks! Over the hill they go.... (over the hill is not where the ladies reside)

4. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Quote:You are welcome. Interestingly, I learned this as I was investigating edible flowers. Some folks add rose petals and other edibles to salads. The websites showing you how to do this ALWAYS take the position that you should never use flowers from a florist because the floral preservatives they add to the water go right up into the flower= toxic.

5. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    They spray toxins on them when they need to, also. Pesticides or fungicides. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by