1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Spent Grain from Beer Making - Safe to Feed Chickens??

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by evaluna, Jun 1, 2016.

1. evaluna

evaluna New Egg

Jan 23, 2015
    Philadelphia, PA
    A friend who home-brews beer has asked me if my chickens will eat the spent grain. He saves some of this grain to make bread, but most ends up in the trash.

(I did some quick research on what this spent grain is. 'Malt' is germinated cereal grain - barley is the grain most commonly used in beer making. The barley is dried then stored then steeped in water to germinate to a predetermined state, with the process being halted by hot air, then kiln-baking. During beer-making, the malted barley is soaked in hot water to extract the malt sugars, then discarded, thus producing spent grains.)

Thanks for any help!!

2. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

It won't hurt them - just make sure to feed it while it's still very fresh, as it tends to go bad quickly, and don't feed too much - I wouldn't let it exceed 20% of their feed for the day. Not all chickens will eat it - within my flock only about half seem to like it.

1 person likes this.
  3. evaluna

evaluna New Egg

Jan 23, 2015
    Philadelphia, PA
    Thanks for responding QueenMisha...i will make sure it is not moldy or soured and was thinking of it as a 'snack' or supplement to their normal feed.

4. TwinsFam

TwinsFam Out Of The Brooder

Apr 7, 2014
    I homebrew and my chickens love my spent grains. We tend to put it into small plastic containers and throw them in the chest freezer. It keeps the grain fresh and you can portion it out over many days. It also takes them longer to eat the frozen blocks of grain so it gives them something to do and keeps them cool on our sweltering California summer days.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by