Spent the day at Old Sturbridge Village

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Henrietta23, Apr 17, 2008.

1. Henrietta23

Henrietta23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 20, 2007
    Eastern CT
    For those of you not familiar it's an early 19th century museum and village with interpreters from the era, etc. I took about 90 pictures. More than 40% were of the chickens and lambs! More than I took of my own son... [​IMG] [​IMG]
    There were several pairs like this one wandering around. Lots of space so didn't see any roos competing. Almost all were in pairs or trios. They are all the same breed. A friend told me they are dorkings. Whatever they are they are very friendly and beautiful!

2. Gersbud

Gersbud Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2007
    Central Michigan
    Grew up in CT but now live in MI. Old Sturbridge Village is an awsome place to go. I use to love going there. Makes me want to go home so I can go back there with my daughter. She would just love the place.

3. chickensista

chickensista Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2008
    CT
    Very cool! We drive by there going to NH, but we've never gone. Maybe we'll hit it next time. [​IMG]

4. Rosalind

Rosalind Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2007
    I went to OSV last summer with my mother-in-law and asked about the chicken breeds. The woman who was feeding the livestock said they started with chickens that were close to authentic breeds, but since they let them go wherever, they had become mutts for several generations now.

5. Henrietta23

Oct 20, 2007
    Eastern CT
    Quote:Cool, where in CT? My son is 6 and had never been before. He loved it!

6. Henrietta23

Oct 20, 2007
    Eastern CT
    Quote:That might explain why they didn't look exactly like the pictures I looked up. The friend who got me started with chickens got a trio of dorkings because they were from the era that her house was built. So it could be they started with those. The roosters were amazing, a bright pumpkiny orange around their necks.

7. LilPeeps

LilPeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    SE Mass
    Wow, I haven't been there since 4th grade! Ever been to Plimoth Plantation?

8. Henrietta23

Oct 20, 2007
    Eastern CT
    Quote:Probably not since 5th grade! [​IMG]

9. Cheekon

Cheekon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2008
    NY
    When i went to Kenya on a mission trip it used to annoy the leaders so much when i'd be more inturested in taking pics of the chickens instead of the kids or the village. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by