Sperryville, Va...allows chickens and?

secuono

Crowing
13 Years
May 29, 2010
Virginia
I am in Sperryville, Va and live on 2 acres. I wanted to know if I can keep chickens and other birds? It's a farm area for almost 20 miles, so I would think so. Most is just Angus cows and some have horses & goats.
So anyone know if I am allowed to have chicks and if so, what are the guide lines? I read somewhere you need 6 chicks minimum in VA. How far does the coop need to be from the fence, main road, other such things?

** I only know this from using Google to look up your area. **

Sperryville is unincorporated land in Rappahannock County. As such, you likely fall under the county's rules. However, your county does not appear to post their regulations and codes online (as far as I can tell).

I did read that "When considering that Rappahannock is an agriculturally oriented County and its population is largely dispersed, the importance of the village functions becomes apparent. The primary villages in Rappahannock County are Amissville, Chester Gap, Flint Hill, Sperryville and Woodville. These five villages have no defined legal boundaries--they are not incorporated, and therefore the definition of what area is "included" in the village of Amissville, for instance, is quite general."

and:

"Housing in Sperryville consists solely of single family units, the greatest concentration of which are along the 522/211 intersection."

Depending on what your neighbors have/do, and how much land you have should be able to guide you in your decisions. I'd also recommend getting in touch with The Rappahannock Natural Foods Cooperative (RNF Coop) who might be able to help you navigate what legal concerns there are (if any).

Best of luck!

Just because your neighbors have chickens, it does not mena you can.

You need to look up the parcel # for your lot (try the county assessor's office or your property deed) and then find out what you are zoned.

Then you can go to the zoning ordinances and see if chickens are allowed for your zoning.

I emailed the people at RNF Coop days ago, still no response. Other places put me on hold forever, or hold and then they hang up or they can't help me and tell me to try this other number.

The co-op will not know your parcel or zoning laws. You will need to
1. Find out what your parcel is zoned.
2. Look in the Rappenhock municipal codes to see if keeping of fowl is allowed.
3. Lookin the Rappenhock ZONING codes to see if your parcel zoning allows fowl.
4. Call animal control to verify.

http://www.ecode360.com/?custId=RA1333

I have no idea how to use the website you linked to nor how to find what my land is zoned as...this is crazy...

To find what your land is zoned:
1-Look at your deed & closing papers
2-Call the county assessors office.
3-Look at the county assessors website.

To use the code index
1-Click on the link
2-Use the search feature to look up
-fowl
-poultry
-chicken
-livestock
-domestic animal

OR- Call your county clerk. They are required to provide you with a copy of the code if you ask for it. They may charge a fee.

As far as I can tell, it says nothing, and I can't find zoning for agriculture. I'm so confused. >.<

You need to find out what you are zoned as, and then look up the code. So if you are zoned R-1, you can pull the R-1 codifiers and read through.

OK, lady contacted me back, she said our land is zoned as A-Agriculture. But I am not sure where to find if chickens are allowed. Uh...yea, still lost.
Sorry, I still need more help!
sad.png

I keep looking through all the sections and I think I'm understanding something or found something, but then I get tripped up and I'm lost again...

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom