Spider Eyes!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Miltonchix, May 15, 2008.

1. Miltonchix

Miltonchix Taking a Break

Jul 14, 2007
    Milton, Florida
    Last night before going to bed I checked on my chickens. I have one of those gazillion candle power spot lights that I shine across my property looking for anything out of place. I noticed hundreds of tiny eyes glowing back at me. When I would look closely, trying to figure out what the heck could be shining in the grass all over my yard, they would blink out. I called my wife to come check it out. She thought I was NUTS! Finally I spotted a set of glowing orbs (they look about the size of pin heads) that I could keep the light on and go to. Here is what I found.

[​IMG]

They are EVERYWHERE in my yard. But thats good. These are the same type I found munching on a Black Widow 2 days earlier.

After what seemed like 10 minutes or more my wife FINALLY saw what I was seeing. Just to be sure I found several more sets of glowing orbs, kept the light on the spot and there would be another one of these guys.

2. lilcountry

lilcountry Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2008
    Benson, NC
    YUCK! I hate Spiders!!!! That thing is HUGE!!

3. Cuban Longtails

Cuban Longtails Flock Mistress

Sep 20, 2007
    Northeast Texas
    Oooh, I love to shine a flashlight out over the property and see all the little "jewels" shining in the grass. [​IMG] Wolf spiders are what I've come across. They're so cool!

4. Miltonchix

Jul 14, 2007
    Milton, Florida
    Picture is MUCH larger than life. I've lived all over the country and these guys have been there. They're little wolf spiders. Don't bulid webs, scurry everywhere harmlessly. To people anyway. Other spiders and bugs are in danger though.

5. thechickenchick

thechickenchick Born city, Living country

Mar 8, 2008
    Eaton, Colorado
    EEWWW!!! Thanks for the goose bumps!![​IMG]

6. banter

banter Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2008
    Raymond Maine
    Acrophobia! I would not be in Your yard!

7. Rte.66_chicks

Rte.66_chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2008
    Kingman, AZ
    That is a little jumping spider. They are so cool! I love spiders-I even let black widows live if they are out of the way. I've seen lots of cockroaches hanging in their webs.

The chickens, however, think they are tasty treats if they discover them.

Last edited: May 17, 2008
  8. Miltonchix

Jul 14, 2007
    Milton, Florida
    Rte.66_chicks :

That is a little jumping spider. They are so cool! I love spiders-I even let black widows live if they are out of the way. I've seen lots of cockroaches hanging in their webs.

The chickens, however, think they ar etasty treats if they discover them.

They are cool! Probably one of the most beneficial spiders you can have. They don't sit and wait. THEY HUNT!

Rte66 my best friend lives in Kingman. Been there many times.​

9. Acre of Blessings

Acre of Blessings Canning/Sewing Addict

Apr 3, 2008
    Axton, VA
    Quote:Then you better not shine a light in your backyard at night.

10. SpottedCrow

SpottedCrow Flock Goddess

How cool!!!
    Some spiders can have up to 10 eyes...
    If you ever wanna be scared we had Bob at work, a Goliath Bird Eating Spider.
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by