Spider webs everywhere in the coop

Phyll'sFarmFamily

Songster
14 Years
May 20, 2007
Old Church, Virginia
Does anyone know of a natural spider repellant? Well actually a web repellant? Any recipes?
My coop is just filled with webs but the fall is even worse. I haven't seen the spider but the webs are horrible and not even pretty. I don’t see any spiders and no bugs in the webs just dirt. I am constantly vacuuming and washing but they are back the next day in full force.
he.gif

They are even in the nesting boxes. Just threads not clumps. You wonder if there are even spiders making them or if they just magically appear.
I keep peppermint in the nesting boxes, hanging from the ceiling, and all around their yard. I know they are extremely flammable (and ugly). I want them gone.
There used to be a bird safe repellant that worked great. I have looked at Tractor Supply, Lowes, and Home Depot. I can't remember the name and don't see a familiar bottle. Of course I didn't write down the name or keep the empty bottle

Thanx

'Web repellant' made me lol. Only a spider repellant is a web repellant, generally speaking. ;) The only real web repellant is cleaning.

Permethrin in marigolds will get rid of them, the spiders that is, as well as lice, and other insects.

If you got some potted marigolds and planted them or sat them around the place, they'd have an instant effect. Provided they're flowering that is, and just the normal sort, not fancy ornamental ones. Just orange-yellow ones.

Wikipedia has the proper name for the species used for permethrin cultivation. In natural form at least it won't come with synergists which can be severely harmful, i.e. so dangerous pregnant women shouldn't inhale the sprays or soak up the chemical via skin contact with insecticidal powder or pet shampoos. It can cause fetal retardation etc in such forms.

Best wishes.

Best wishes with that, hope it works out well for you. If all else fails (though this should basically be guaranteed to work) then worth looking into what species of spider you have, that will offer some information on what habitat they prefer and what naturally controls their population.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom