Spied a fox - will one electric wire do?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by True Grit, Nov 6, 2010.

1. True Grit

True Grit Chillin' With My Peeps

I was fiddling with the waterer in the run and the girls were bummin' around, not really intent on roosting yet, when I heard a hen bawk loudly. Usually they aren't very vocal so when she did it the second time I went out and saw the fox across the driveway in the other yard. Big fox. When he saw me he moved off so I hopped the fence and chased after him, yelling like crazy. I never let the girls out before 10 am and this was at about 6 pm to 6:15 when they were just getting starting to think about going to roost. Usually I let them roost and then go out at 6:30 and close the door. I certainly didn't expect to see a fox when it was hardly dark yet but there he was. I don't want to kill or trap him so I'm thinking a hot wire 6 inches off the ground around our 4 ft wire fence might do it. It is about 1/3 to 1/2 an acre. Or should I use another wire at some distance above the first one? It was just luck I was out there at the same time the fox was. Even when the hen bawked the others didn't do anything to react.

2. lightfoot

lightfoot Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 19, 2010
    NW minnesota
    some people use multiple wires. 2", 4" to 6", 8" to 12" and around the top of the run/coop. somewhere in the posts people have discussed it, even posting pics. as an example, about 3 miles from us, a bee keeper moves in a bunch of honey bee hives. first 2 years a bear tore them up. the 3rd year the bee keeper put a single strand of electric wire around the 50 x 75 foot area. no bear damage. 4th year still no bear damage. as you can see electric fence works. good luck.[​IMG]

3. True Grit

Thanks! I'll try one wire and keep a really close eye on them in the early evening. Once we have some snow on the ground it will be easy to see if the fence gets tested or crossed.

4. lightfoot

lightfoot Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 19, 2010
    NW minnesota
    remember, snow could short out the fence.

5. BlackBart

BlackBart Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2009
    If it were me I'd go with three strands. But it is up to you.
    We used two strands to keep the Polar Bears away from the dumpsters.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2010
  6. True Grit

Quote:[​IMG] Thanks! I realized this recently. I almost wrote a question about if I should put a wire at the top of the fence in case we get 3 feet of snow. Those'd be some tall chickens if they were out free-ranging in 3 ft of snow.
    Is the second wire for taller predators? We wouldn't have anything bigger than a coyote here. I suppose stopping a weasel is next to impossible but I've never seen one here.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by