Spike combs?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by phasianidae, Jun 10, 2011.

1. phasianidae

phasianidae Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2010
  2. tinychicky

tinychicky Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2010
    Hollis, New Hampshire
    yes, you might get a comb like that on cross breeds or breeds unrecognized by the standard [​IMG]

3. phasianidae

Nov 9, 2010
    Quote:Do you know of anyone who has such chickens?

4. tinychicky

Mar 24, 2010
    Hollis, New Hampshire
    not personally but i saw some at a farm stand once. they had a bunch of gamey looking cross breeds with similar combs, they were very pretty [​IMG] that kind of comb is very rare i think.

5. phasianidae

Nov 9, 2010
    Quote:Interesting, I would love to see some. I wonder what their comb genotype is?

6. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

[​IMG] I think you have to cross a chicken & a unicorn! [​IMG] [​IMG] That would be so cool to have some chickens with a spike!

7. tinychicky

Mar 24, 2010
    Hollis, New Hampshire
    could be anything [​IMG] maybe some v and rose somewhere in the past generations...hmm i want to find some more of these birds now [​IMG]

8. phasianidae

Nov 9, 2010
    Quote:I have no doubt that D^v is a part of this comb type, I wonder what else is? Perhaps Dan Powell or Henk will chime in?

9. Sparklee

Sparklee Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 28, 2008
    Some wild turkeys have ones that look like those. Then when the males spread out their feathers and do their dance, the spike gets about 5 inches long and droopy and droops right down over their face like a piece of stretched out bubble gum.

Do you see that asterisk in the image right next to the chicken head you're referring to? Does that refer to anything on the page elsewhere that we can't see where an explanation is offered?

10. tinychicky

Mar 24, 2010
    Hollis, New Hampshire
    sparklee, i thought of that too! maybe there is [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by