spike of 104 :( ~ Set on Monday 2.6.12 Who'd like to join me??

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Fly Be Free, Feb 10, 2012.

1. Fly Be Free

Fly Be Free Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2012
    South Carolina
    My bator spiked to 104. I'm going to go long and guess it was like that for a couple of hours.

Have I lost my eggs??

Last edited: Feb 10, 2012
  2. FarmGirl01

FarmGirl01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2008
    AR
    [​IMG] Don't give up. Most likely they'll be fine. It happens to all of us.

3. Fly Be Free

Jan 18, 2012
    South Carolina
    Thank you. I have a LG and it is SO sensitive. I even marked the knob and space in front of it to keep it lined up and it's all over the map all of a sudden.

The eggs have been in the bator since Monday. So, they've been in about 4 days.

4. FarmGirl01

FarmGirl01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2008
    AR
    I've got some on day 5. You should be able to check them this Saturday or Sunday and see if any are moving. Let me know how it goes. I had a bator like yours and finally deceided to get a different one that is pre-set. Those are hard to keep constant but it will get easier as you get to know the machine.

5. dreamer5577

dreamer5577 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2011
    Pennsylvania
    Thus far (on day 11) I have had 2 temperature spikes. And I candled a day after each incident and they are all continuing to develop. So don;t loose hope! :)

6. Fly Be Free

Jan 18, 2012
    South Carolina
    Three of my bantams are developing veins. One is a bit older than the other two and is really coming along.

I plan to candle this Sunday. :) I'm so excited!!!!

Here is a pic of the bantam that I candled just the other day for the heck of it.

I was SHOCKED!
    [​IMG]

7. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

I would think you are fine. Think of all the days in the 100 degree range for temperatures in the summer!

8. LaynaDon95

LaynaDon95 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2012
    Texas
    I'm using a still-air LG. Mine got up higher than 104. It's now day 20 and I have a hatched chick and like 10 pips. Don't give up! :)

9. Fly Be Free

Jan 18, 2012
    South Carolina
    Thanks guys!! *whew* I was worried. I did lift the lid to bring it down 2 degrees slowly. Then I re set the temp and now I'm at 99. It has NEVER been at 99 LOL I appreciate ya'lls support!

10. LaynaDon95

LaynaDon95 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2012
    Texas
    Try not to worry too much. (I'm such a hypocrite for saying that.) =P I just got my second chick! :D
    My incubator (sometime last week or so) spiked to 104. I tried to cool it down and TURNED THE DIAL THE WRONG WAY! It got to 115 or so. I cooled it down (really this time) but I turned it down too much. I had to get up during the night several times to keep turning it up. I was FREAKING OUT! But obviously, they survived it. :)

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by