Spikey eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by LE808, Feb 9, 2014.

1. LE808

LE808 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 4, 2013
    Nottingham, UK
    I have a 7 month old buff sussex who has been laying little white eggs happily for 2 months. The last 2 days however she has really been struggling and taking around 5 hours in the best box to lay an egg. When she is laying they are coming out with little nodules on them which I should imagine is why she is taking so long. Is there anything I can do diet wise to improve the quality of the egg shell? I should imagine passing these would be quite painfully for a young bird. Any help or advice is very appreciated. [​IMG][/IMG]

2. LE808

LE808 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 4, 2013
    Nottingham, UK
    Here is another one [​IMG]

3. PrairieChickens

PrairieChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2012
    Kansas
    I've had several hens who do that off and on. It usually means she's getting too much calcium, though I've had hens who will lay eggs like that regardless of their calcium intake. In my case, it's never caused my hens any apparent distress--it just makes for odd eggs, and the granules tend to wash off with warm water.

As for spending more time on the nesting box, what's the weather like where you're at? My hens have been lingering in the nesting boxes lately because it's warmer in there--even hens who aren't currently laying at all.

4. LE808

LE808 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 4, 2013
    Nottingham, UK
    It's extremely windy in the uk at the moment, it's not bothering the other hen though which is why it caused me some concern, she's been in the nest box all day, the other hen has laid and she is yet to. I'll keep an eye on her, the good news is she has come out for food today when I've called but quickly retreats back to the nest box.

5. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    It's excess calcium, nothing to worry about.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by