Spill the secret to long relationships

plot_thickens

Chirping
11 Years
Dec 16, 2008
So me and the Texan Wonder Man are set to begin our 6th year together. Tell me... what's the key to a good long relationship? I like my TWM, wanna keep him around (he's promised to help me build the coop and double-dig the garden!)

Compromise,Communicate, don't take anything too seriously.
Married 16 years so far. Raising three boys and run our retaurant together. I personally will never marry again. If we can't make this work one way or another than marriage isn't for us. Incidentally both of our parents are celebrating their 50th anniversary same day same year this summer!! Very strange indeed. And yes, sometimes he is not my favorite person, but all the time I love him and I know he loves me back more.
At least hang in until your coop is built, because then you will have chickens to love and slave over!!

My DH and I have been married for 26 years, and I have to say, friendship and honesty are the secret of a long relationship.
Sure all the other good stuff helps, but when all is said and done, when you become a couple of dusty skin bags you know that you will still be holding hands and in love.

Don't get lazy and expect someone to make you happy. Make yourself happy and share that joy with your spouse. Remember why you married in the first place.

Me and the DW will have our 12th wedding anniversary in July. The secret is, dont argue, and Understand SHES ALWAYS RIGHT.
wink.png
big_smile.png

We will be coming up on 30 years soon, don't know if that qualifies for long term or not.....my mom and dad got 63 years in.

Other than the obvious that we are as much in love or more so than we were 30 years ago, there is one thing I was told prior to my wedding that I passed on to my son at his wedding.....

Never let a night go, no matter how mad you may be at each other.....and you will get mad, that before falling asleep at night......you make sure to tell that other person "I Love You"

Learn to give and take, don't get too mad for the small things....and the cooking comment made earlier?......that too!

My husband and I have been married 21 years and I have to say it was rough our first few...we were only teens then. But we talked, A LOT and we worked though our problems and if there is not understanding on both ends it's not going to work. What we always say is WHY would anyone get a divorce after so many years just to have to do it ALL over again!? The first few years I think are the hardest.

#1 to me is being each others best friend, that brings in honesty and loyalty naturally.
#2 Let him be a man, when he really wants to stand up for something, respect him for it, and he'll respect you in the things that really matter to you too.
#3 Never let kids come between you. Always put each other first and foremost.
#4 Tell each other you love each other everyday
And NEVER belittle each or or call each other names of any kind...
Never use s*x to get what you want, OR say no, or "cut him off" out of anger

I am more in love with my husband now than I was 20 years ago, and I honestly couldn't live without him.

Last edited:
We've been married 35 years and farm & ranch together so we are basically together 24/7.

I'd say no secrets, each of you have to give 100%, don't let the little stuff build up into a big blow-up, remember to let the other know you like, love and appreciate them.

I think too many people go into marraige now days with the thought that if it doesn't work out we can always get divorced instead of working on issues and their relationship and having divorce has the absolute last option.

Is it always easy and fun?......NO!, but anything worth having usually isn't!!

Back
Top Bottom