Spilled Food

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Chicks Galore3, Mar 4, 2013.

1. Chicks Galore3

Chicks Galore3 Artistic Bird Nut Premium Member

Dec 16, 2011
    Iowa
    Tonight while tucking the chickens in I saw they had spilled a LOT of food- more then a cool whip dish full. They haven't spill much at all before, I have a hanging feeder. I took it out so that they would have to eat the food off the floor. Is this ok? I plan on putting it back soon. Also, I wonder why they spilled this much food. Boredom? No big deal?

2. Kjordanov

Kjordanov Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2012
    NW
    Mine did that too!!! I put it (feeder) away for the rest of the day, they weren't going to starve as there was plenty left on the ground for them to peck at. I am wondering why mine did that too. I doubt it's anything too bad though.

3. Chicks Galore3

Dec 16, 2011
    Iowa
    I figured. Probably just bored in this weather! It's all cold and snowy. I don't mind the snow, but they hate it! Not enough outside time.

4. Kjordanov

Jul 19, 2012
    NW

I know I cant wait for spring, I am finally just starting to open the main door so they can get to this small patch of grass lol. Everywhere else is covered in snow!

5. Chicks Galore3

Dec 16, 2011
    Iowa

6. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    Quote: Try hanging it a little higher

7. Chicks Galore3

Dec 16, 2011
    Iowa

8. Kjordanov

Jul 19, 2012
    NW
    LOL snow is packed like ice here so it's hard to shovel, sadly :( but the chickens come running when I open there door so maybe they are fine with that small patch of grass!! Lol

9. Chicks Galore3

Dec 16, 2011
    Iowa

10. Kjordanov

Jul 19, 2012
    NW
    Lol oh no! Haha our ground is very frozen still so luckily we haven't had that problem yet. Good question heheh snow blowed, blew hahaha

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by