Spinach Artichoke Chicken in creamed Marinara W/ 3 cheese tortellini

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by Frozen Feathers, Jul 30, 2007.

1. Frozen Feathers

Frozen Feathers Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2007
    Maine
    This is a dish I made after I went to a very nice Italian restaurant. They called it Tortellini Evelina. Mines a little different, because instead of sun dried tomatoes I use roasted red peppers. I couldn't find the recipe anywhere, so I made it up myself. This is my DH's favorite pasta dish I make.

What you need:
    1 Jar Newman's Own Marinara sauce (or make your own)
    1 cup of heavy cream
    A handful of baby fresh spinach
    2-3 cloves of roasted garlic* Instructions below.
    6-7 artichoke hearts (I buy them canned, it's cheaper then buying whole artichoke) broken up so the leaves are individual
    1 roasted red pepper (I buy jarred) julienned
    2lb boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut julienne style.
    1 package of 3 cheese tortellini dried/frozen or fresh. They all work. Or if you are more talented then me, make your own [​IMG]

EVOO
    2 fry pans
    1 pretty big stock pot
    1 pot to cook the tortellini
    1 very large serving bowl/dish ( I call them bowls my mother calls them dishes)

Step one. Roast your garlic. Take the garlic cloves and wrap them in tinfoil. Place them in a pre-heated 500 deg oven for 20 minutes, until they are soft.Remove skins Now dice or slice it up.

Step 2. You need 2 fry pans, one for chicken one for veggies.
    Use EVOO to coat both pans. season chicken w/ salt.Over medium heat add the chicken to one pan. You want to just seer the chicken, not cook all the way.

Step 3
    In the other pan medium high heat add the garlic, spinach and artichoke. Season w/ salt. When artichoke starts to take on a nice golden brown color, add the roasted peppers.

Step 4
    Now add the chicken that you've seered. It will take on the flavors of the other ingredients. It's okay of your veggies get a little dark, in cooking that's called caramelization, in baking it's called burning, but lets just say I caramelize a lot of baked goods. [​IMG]

Step 5
    While your chicken is finishing. In the stock pot add your marinara and slowly heat on medium low. Once it's warmed up, stir in the cream. Let it come to a simmer.

Step 6
    Hopefully your chicken is now done. Drain chicken and veggies and add to the creamed Marinara sauce and let simmer, remember to stir! You'll Marinara will burn if you don't!!

Step 7
    Now cook your tortellini according to package instructions.

Step 8
    Now combine everything in your very large serving bowl and serve w/ fresh salad and French bread. Yummy!
    Serves 4 + It's really filling.

My FIL who is "deathly afraid" of add dairy product to any sort of vegetable, including sauces actually really enjoyed this dish. Don't let the cream in the marinara scare you! It's really, really, really good.

Enjoy!!!

2. apbgv

apbgv Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    Iowa
    Oh my gosh this sounds sooooooo good, Definetely will have to try it when it cools off, I don't have ac in my house so the kitchen is too warm for cookin.

3. wren

wren Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2007
    St Augustine, FL
    Hey - I'm making it tomorrow! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by