Spinosad in Canada?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Kmhv04, Sep 13, 2016.

1. Spinosad

1 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. Dusting Powder

1 vote(s)
    50.0%
  3. Ivermectin

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Other

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Kmhv04

Kmhv04 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 15, 2015
    British Columbia, Canada
    Hello!

I am trying to locate a product recommended to me called "Elector PSP Premises Spray" or anything similar available in CANADA. The active ingredient is "Spinosad A and D" and I am needing it to treat my chickens and coop/run for mites with it.

I am coming up blank as no retailers in the US can send it across the border and I have yet to find it available for animals/poultry in Canada. It is available as a product for plants, just not labeled for animals/poultry. I do not want to have any adverse reactions by using a product not formulated/intended for my hens (and the eggs I sell).

Thank you for any and all of your help!

~Monica~

2. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    I use pemethrin and/or ivermectin orally.

Here is another product that has Spinosad. The percentage is different than Elector, so you would have to do some math to get the same dose.
    [​IMG]

-Kathy

3. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
  4. Kmhv04

Oct 15, 2015
    British Columbia, Canada
    Hello Kathy!

Thank you for your response. I was curious judging by it's percentages of actual Spinosad (just .5%) and Other Ingredients (99.5%) will it be safe for poultry? What could the other ingredients be? I may have to contact the seller to find out.

Anyone else use/try this product for your poultry?

5. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
  6. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
  7. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  8. Kmhv04

Oct 15, 2015
    British Columbia, Canada

I noticed that on the info sheet before I finished reading what you wrote below the link...haha!

Reading on it, it sounds rather safe.

Thank you so much, you are awesome! I didn't have the time to get to doing all the research yet today so you helped me immensely! I am more inclined to try it, or at the very least treat the coop at this point to knock down the infestation! It's waaaaaay cheaper than the Elector PSP. Going to try finding the fact sheet on the elector now to compare details with the bug/garden one.

9. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop

I thought it was cheaper, but diluted at the correct amount it's actually way more expensive. It has about 1/10 the active ingredient. Guess I'm gonna have to do the math, lol.

-Kathy

10. Folly's place

Folly's place Chicken Obsessed

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    I talked to Dr. Fulton at MSU today, and he said that the Elector PSP is fine for poultry, but because it's so expensive, he isn't aware of any large operations using it (in Michigan anyway). I probably won't be ordering it myself, as the permethrin is so inexpensive here, and I'm willing to use Ivermectin. Mary

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by