Spitzhauben, Egyptian Fayoumi, and EE genders (pic heavy)

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by erin0415, Jan 8, 2009.

1. erin0415

erin0415 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2008
    North Texas
    I have 5 week old chicks and I am trying to determine genders. Also, would like any spitzhauben experts to comment on the quality of my birds because I don't think it is real great. I am not impressed with the coloring on either, and the 2nd ones crest is very small (although I don't know what male crests should look like at this age.) I just know that I had one other spitzhauben hen and she had much more black and her spotting was more distinct.

This is the side view of my Mercedes. The head and crest look very similar to what my previous hen looked like at that age. I see very small wattles and no comb.
    [​IMG]

This is Cujo. Note the larger wattles, and this one has a comb.
    [​IMG]

Another of Cujo. I'm not impressed with the crest.
    [​IMG]

This is Egyptian Fayoumi #1
    [​IMG]

Egyptian Fayoumi #2. Note the slightly larger comb.
    [​IMG]

This is my Easter egger
    [​IMG]

And another pic of the same Easter Egger. He/she didn't want to sit up.
    [​IMG]

2. Harley's girl

Harley's girl Chillin' With My Peeps

The 1st Spitz is a hen and the 2nd is a rooster. I am not sure on the EF I have never seen them before. The EE looks henish to me. JMHO [​IMG] Good luck.

3. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    I am definitely no expert, but one of my spitz boys had a crest like that, it still isn't as big but is better than it was. He is now about 20 weeks. My girls definitely had more on top. As for quality, these are my first so I have no idea [​IMG]

4. ThePolishPrincess

ThePolishPrincess Chillin' With My Peeps

That Spitz is gorgeous!

1. Pullet
    2. Cockerel

I can't wait to get mine! [​IMG]
    The rest are hard to tell. Good luck!

5. erin0415

erin0415 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2008
    North Texas
    Thanks for the replies. I guess I will have to wait on the fayoumis.

6. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    First Spitz pic is a pullet and the second one looks like a cockeral. Keep an eye on the mohawks because too many Spitz got Polish poms on them and its a disqualification according to the standards.

I had to cull HARD because too many of them have Polish crests instead of tuffs with feathers going FORWARD, not backward.

Out of 24 Spitz (I believe) from two different sources, only three pullets were acceptable. The rest of them were culled out.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by