1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Spitzhauben hen suddenly DEAD

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by kokeff, Jan 3, 2013.

1. kokeff

kokeff Out Of The Brooder

Oct 6, 2012
    Cincinnati, OH
    I am so sad. Went outside this morning to do the usual "chicken chores" of feeding, watering, giving treats, checking each bird's weight and crops to make sure they are eating etc, and everyone was great. My Spitzhaubens (1 hen and 1 roo) are separate from the other chickens and they were doing great as well. I picked up the hen to make sure she has mass and she was full of meat, but no food in her crop. It's COLD here (high 20's and snow), but they have been doing fine and this breed is especially cold hardy. I gave them dried worms and she came flying out of the coop to gobble them up. No signs of anything irregular or sickness. Just went outside now 2 hours later, and she was laying at the front of the coop deader than a doornail. WHAT HAPPENED?? No signs of any predator, no blood or ruffled feathers or anything. The roo was not picking on her, not egg bound, no mites or anything (plus its freezing here so not sure if those are even around at this time). Anyone have an answer or clue? The only thing I can think of is, she broke her leg right when we got her in April. She is about a year old now. We had two separate vets look at it and it healed on its own very quickly so they decided it was best to do nothing. They said she would always walk with a limp (which she did), but she never laid an egg. (Which the vet also said would be normal). So maybe there was an infection in her leg and we never knew about it? But that was almost 10 months ago and she has been fine. Any help would be greatly appreciated! And also- my roo is now in his cage alone. Should i add him to another flock?

2. hallerlake

hallerlake Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2010
    Seattle
    I'm sorry. I doubt cold would be the culprit. Chickens can die suddenly for so many reasons. She might have gotten an internal injury that didn't show. Adding your roo to another flock might be tricky, especially if that flock already has a rooster. Just make sure he can see and hear the another flock so he doesn't feel so all alone. Do you do Facebook? There is an Appenzeller Spitzhauben club. Maybe someone can fix you up with more Spitz. You could also try the Appenzeller Spitzhauben and Brabanters the difference thread here. It's the unofficial thread for us on BYC.

3. kokeff

Oct 6, 2012
    Cincinnati, OH
    Thank you for your info. I am on Facebook. How do I find the Spitz club? I have been looking for more for months now because I just love them, but they are so hard to find. And I would prefer to get a pullet and not have to hatch my eggs on my own. My roo is next to another coop, but even when his hen was alive, he paced along the edge that was close to the other birds. He never sits still and he is always talking and pacing around. Bad?

4. hallerlake

May 30, 2010
    Seattle
    Here's a link. https://www.facebook.com/groups/139043868362/

He wants at those other hens. If they don't already have a rooster, you could try getting them together.

5. kokeff

Oct 6, 2012
    Cincinnati, OH
    Awesome. I just sent the request to join. When we first got the other hens, this roo wasn't full grown yet and those hens were chasing him around! Which is why him and his honey (the now dead hen) went into their own coop. I suppose we could try it again? It is a newly formed flock with 6 hens, some large and some bantams. They all seem to get along pretty well, and there is no rooster in there. Think he would be ok with the bantams? One bantam silkie and one bantam buff brahma.

6. hallerlake

May 30, 2010
    Seattle
    There's only one way to find out. Try it.

7. hallerlake

May 30, 2010
    Seattle
  8. kokeff

Oct 6, 2012
    Cincinnati, OH
    THANK YOU so much for all of your help. Waiting to hear from the FB group and put a word out on the thread. THanks!!!!!!

9. hallerlake

May 30, 2010
    Seattle
    We Spitz people have to stick together.

10. kokeff

Oct 6, 2012
    Cincinnati, OH
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by