Splash--A color, or a pattern?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by onafixedincome, Mar 18, 2011.

1. onafixedincome

onafixedincome Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2009
    The title says it all--I'm really kind of confused! [​IMG]

Black, blue, lav...those are colors. But the bluish/lavenderish ones splashed with black...are they just another specific color, or can you have, say, buff splashed with black, lav splashed likewise, and so on and so forth?

I've also seen animals which are splattered with white called 'splash'.

HEEEELLLLLLPPPPPP!!!!!! [​IMG]

I'm so confused!

Many thanks to all who can explain it in little words, suitable for someone who has always had rabbit genetics down pat.. [​IMG] .and is now really, really lost.... [​IMG]

2. call ducks

call ducks silver appleyard addict

Mar 4, 2009
    waterville , canada
    Splash is a colour, and not a pattern. If you look at two or three splashes they well not be the same, as a patterned bird.

And @ the second question yes. Any breed that has the blue gene can have splash, so Blue Wheaton Old English games you could get Splash Wheaton to, same goes with partridge coloured birds. But you can not have a Buff splash bird. Also you would never be able to have a black splash bird, as splash can be bred with black (sorry having a dumb moment...)

3. Bunnylady

Bunnylady POOF Goes the Pooka

Nov 27, 2009
    Wilmington, NC
    One copy of the blue gene turns what would otherwise be a black chicken into a blue chicken. Two copies of the blue gene gives you a splash. Breed a splash to a black, you get blues. Breed splash to blue, you get blue and splash. Splash to splash can only give you splash. Now, why some splashes show so much tinting, and others are pretty much white with flecks of color - beats me! [​IMG]

4. RAREROO

RAREROO Overrun With Chickens

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    Quote:Yep What she said one copy of Andalusian Blue gives blue, two copies gives splash , so Splash is the Homozygous form of the Andalusian Blue color gene. This gene only dilutes black so in any bird that has black in a pattern, it is possible to have splash in its place. But is still a color, not the pattern

5. onafixedincome

onafixedincome Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2009
    Okay...black, blue, splash, got it.

But what makes a lavender, then? Is it a different locus?

6. RAREROO

RAREROO Overrun With Chickens

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    Quote:Is a different gene. There is the Andalusian Blue gene, which is incompletely dominant and only dilutes Black and produces the BBS phases when Blue is bred to Blue.

Lavender is a recessive gene that dilutes Black AND Gold. Two copies my be carried to express the gene and when Lav is bred to Lav, it breeds true and gives all lavs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by