Splash Andalusian going broody?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by FrenchHen, May 7, 2009.

1. FrenchHen

FrenchHen Chicken Ambassador

Jan 26, 2009
    Bagshot Row
    According to the hatchery, they are non-setters. We have one in the hospital crate (due to an injury) who seems to be sitting on her egg. I have her three more today to see what would happen.

Does anyone have Andalusians who go broody, or have I pushed her into it because of the hospital crate.

2. rodriguezpoultry

rodriguezpoultry Langshan Lover

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    Minorcas aren't supposed to go broody either but I have one that goes broody reliably! LOL!

3. jossanne

jossanne Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2008
    Gila, New Mexico
    I don't know about andalusians, but my mom also has a minorca who went broody. They're very similar birds...

4. Krys109uk

Krys109uk Chillin' With My Peeps

Any (female) chicken can go broody, just in some breeds which have been bred not to go broody, broodiness if far less likely. [​IMG]

5. lauralou

lauralou Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2007
    Central Virginia
    I have 4 Blue Andalusians. Two of them are broody. One of the two is ridiculously determined to be broody, right now...

So, yes, it can happen.

6. FrenchHen

FrenchHen Chicken Ambassador

Jan 26, 2009
    Bagshot Row
    I went to check on her just now and she's kicked the eggs under the bedding and pecked one hunting for her food that she's spilled all over the floor of the crate.

The eggs got washed and fridged.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by