Splash Bantam Cochin Hen X White Silkie Rooster

oliviaandjosh4

Chirping
5 Years
Apr 28, 2014
I have a hen sitting on eggs from my splash bantam cochin who was bred by my white silkie rooster. I am curious as to what color they will be? will they have blue skin?

Also, I have some young cochins, a black pullet, black roo, and a blue roo.
what color would the chicks of these crosses be?

splash hen X blue roo?
splash hen X black roo?
black hen X blue roo?

Im trying to understand how the genetics work, can someone post link to a post that explains all of this?

Thanks in advance!!

There is no way to know the outcome of white X anything. White as a gene functions as an off switch; think of it like the light in a room. You can turn the light off but the room and the things in it are still there. White hides the bird's real genetics. There is both a dominant and a recessive white; in Silkies it is typically recessive.

Fibromelanistic (dark skin) is dominant and usually shows strongly in crossbreed offspring.

Splash X Blue will yield 50% Black and 50% Blue. Splash X Black will yield 100% Blue. Black X Blue will yield 50% Black and 50% Blue.

Here is a chart regarding Blue breedings:

If you are interested in learning poultry genetics I would recommend this website and this genetics calculator built by the same man. You might also purchase "Genetics of the Fowl" by F.B. Hutt if you are really serious about learning genetics.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom