Splash Bantam Cochins Sex Linked???

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Jarhead, Apr 14, 2009.

1. Jarhead

Jarhead Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2008
    Arkansas
    I know this sounds weird, but my wife tried the pendulum sexing thing on some eggs we were hatching. I know it is in no way scientific, but she thinks she has the touch since her grandmother is some kind of witch and never gets it wrong with a pendulum - just kidding her grandmother is just a little witchy, she is OK [​IMG]

Anyway, she put together a spreadsheet of the eggs and the supposed expected sex of each as an experiment. We hatched a mixed lot of 10 eggs so identifying the chicks/birds would be easier. We bought the eggs from a BYCer and they were nice enough to label them as to the breed/color. They hatched yesterday, I noticed that the 4 splash bantam cochins (easy to tell which they were, since we only set those 4 bantam eggs). All 4 were as doing really well and are spunky. 2 of these my wife marked as male and 2 as female from her little pendulum thingy. I noticed that 2 of the 4 are gray, and the other 2 are yellow with little gray spots. Could this be a sex linked trait (assuming my wife's pendulum is accurate, and I know that's a big if - I am not convinced it works). Anybody have any thoughts?

2. Krys109uk

Krys109uk Chillin' With My Peeps

Two friends of mine did an experiment with a pendulum, as so many people swear by it. One was certain it worked the other was less than sure. They did the pendulum thing over very every chick they hatched that season & recorded the results. At the end of the season the results showed the pendulum to be approx 60% accurate.

But perhaps it is different for different people & maybe some people are 'better' at that type of thing than others?

3. Jarhead

Aug 12, 2008
    Arkansas
    I think the pendulum is pretty cheesy myself, but the coloring of the peeps is what got my attention.

4. briana1975

briana1975 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2009
    Carleton Mi.
    This is so funny. Yesterday I picked up 5 more Buff Orps and the gentleman that I was getting them from did that. I asked him what he was doing and he said checking to see if they were females. I thought to myself well that is strange. But I guess more people do this. I remember someone trying this on me when I was pregnet and they said I was having a girl. No girls in my house 3 boys.

5. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    The thing is, the pendulum swing, and all other old wives tales on guessing gender is accurate--50% of the time. (more or less, [​IMG] )

Last edited: Apr 14, 2009
  6. StrawberryHouseMouse

StrawberryHouseMouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2009
    Cleveland, Tennessee
    My mom and grandma do that all the time for random crap. when I was pregnate they did it on me. The gender was obviously determined by weither it went in a circle or back and forth. I find it stupid.

7. Jarhead

Aug 12, 2008
    Arkansas
    I think I made too much out of the pendulum, everyone is talking about it [​IMG]

What I am really curious about is the genetics, are or can splash be sex linked? Or is it just random coloring of the chicks? I will get a pick in the morning, but like I said 2 are gray and look like blue chicks and 2 are yellow with small gray marks. It was just the stupid pendulum that got me thinking about it [​IMG]

8. Krys109uk

Krys109uk Chillin' With My Peeps

but like I said 2 are gray and look like blue chicks and 2 are yellow with small gray marks. It was just the stupid pendulum that got me thinking about it

I can't see that they would be sex linked.....two grey, if they're properly grey, could be blue rather than splash?​

9. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    BLue (which is the gene for splash) is not sex-linked

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by