Splash Bantam Cochins Sex Linked???

Jarhead

Songster
11 Years
Aug 12, 2008
Arkansas
I know this sounds weird, but my wife tried the pendulum sexing thing on some eggs we were hatching. I know it is in no way scientific, but she thinks she has the touch since her grandmother is some kind of witch and never gets it wrong with a pendulum - just kidding her grandmother is just a little witchy, she is OK
smile.png

Anyway, she put together a spreadsheet of the eggs and the supposed expected sex of each as an experiment. We hatched a mixed lot of 10 eggs so identifying the chicks/birds would be easier. We bought the eggs from a BYCer and they were nice enough to label them as to the breed/color. They hatched yesterday, I noticed that the 4 splash bantam cochins (easy to tell which they were, since we only set those 4 bantam eggs). All 4 were as doing really well and are spunky. 2 of these my wife marked as male and 2 as female from her little pendulum thingy. I noticed that 2 of the 4 are gray, and the other 2 are yellow with little gray spots. Could this be a sex linked trait (assuming my wife's pendulum is accurate, and I know that's a big if - I am not convinced it works). Anybody have any thoughts?

Two friends of mine did an experiment with a pendulum, as so many people swear by it. One was certain it worked the other was less than sure. They did the pendulum thing over very every chick they hatched that season & recorded the results. At the end of the season the results showed the pendulum to be approx 60% accurate.

But perhaps it is different for different people & maybe some people are 'better' at that type of thing than others?

I think the pendulum is pretty cheesy myself, but the coloring of the peeps is what got my attention.

This is so funny. Yesterday I picked up 5 more Buff Orps and the gentleman that I was getting them from did that. I asked him what he was doing and he said checking to see if they were females. I thought to myself well that is strange. But I guess more people do this. I remember someone trying this on me when I was pregnet and they said I was having a girl. No girls in my house 3 boys.

I think I made too much out of the pendulum, everyone is talking about it
tongue.png

What I am really curious about is the genetics, are or can splash be sex linked? Or is it just random coloring of the chicks? I will get a pick in the morning, but like I said 2 are gray and look like blue chicks and 2 are yellow with small gray marks. It was just the stupid pendulum that got me thinking about it
wink.png

but like I said 2 are gray and look like blue chicks and 2 are yellow with small gray marks. It was just the stupid pendulum that got me thinking about it

I can't see that they would be sex linked.....two grey, if they're properly grey, could be blue rather than splash?​

Back
Top Bottom