1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login, otherwise join BYC here!

Splash Bearded Silkie Pair - from Paint breeding

Discussion in 'Buy Sell Auction - Archives' started by Three Cedars Silkies, Dec 6, 2011.

1. Three Cedars Silkies

Three Cedars Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Apr 17, 2008
    Gainesville, Fl.
    Up for your consideration is a juvenile pair of splash bearded silkies that were hatched from a paint pen. This pair was from a paint/paint breeding. I have included pics of the parents below.

Although it is unusual to hatch splash from paints, it is most common when breeding paint on paint as in this case. This pair is just lovely with good type (they are about 4 months old). The only evidence of their paint breeding is lighter brown eyes on the pullet only. The cockerel has black eyes and does have a semi-single comb. It is very small and black, but has some wave in the front and 3 tiny horns at the back. Bren Gambrill (Birds of Paradise) has been breeding paints for about 1 1/2 years and said that the single comb was the easiest to breed out of them.

Will this pair produce paint? Probably, but I could not make any promises. The genetics of the paint breeding are not completely known.

In Sigrid Van Dort's silkie book, she has photos of paint splashes and compares them to regular splash,...and the difference is obvious. I'm not savvy enough to be able to tell the difference in this pair.

Great wings, crest with tons of pins feathers, toes are perfect and skin is completely black.

Shipping is $55.00 and includes a new Horizon box. Please be sure you understand the risks of shipping as no refunds can be made for shipping issues. I include a large dish of feed and shipping waterers to help ensure their safe arrival. Pick up is welcome.

We are NPIP certified. Each birds is vaccinated against Mareks Disease at hatch. Please ask any questions prior to bidding.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 6, 2011
  2. Beth G.

Beth G. Gaetano Family Farm

Oh how cute!!!! [​IMG]

3. squig2

squig2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2010
    michigan
    where is the picture of the parents? i am not seeing it?

4. adkins90

adkins90 Truly Obsessed...

Jan 30, 2007
    Huntington, WV
    Very pretty Judy!!

5. Three Cedars Silkies

Apr 17, 2008
    Gainesville, Fl.
    Sorry...I forgot to add the pics of the paints. Here they are:

[​IMG]

6. Three Cedars Silkies

Apr 17, 2008
    Gainesville, Fl.
    If you look closely at the picture of the pullet, I think you can see what appear to be a couple of large "paint" spots.

7. thunder creek farm

thunder creek farm Out Of The Brooder

Dec 7, 2011
    North East TN
    I love the coloring on them

8. MNShepherdess

MNShepherdess Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2011
    Minnesota
    I think it must be mandatory that whomever wins this auction must post photos of the resulting chicks [​IMG] Beautiful birds, by the way!

9. Northwood Silkies

Northwood Silkies Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2010
    Northwest Michigan
    Wasn't this auction up to $101.00 or something a little while ago?? Or am I seeing things?? [​IMG]

10. adkins90

adkins90 Truly Obsessed...

Jan 30, 2007
    Huntington, WV
    Quote:Well, if you saw it too...we both can't be seeing things!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by