Splash BLRW? Pullet, please?!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Squishypuff, Jun 7, 2011.

1. Squishypuff

Squishypuff Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    Kernersville, NC
    I am really hoping that this one turns out to be a girl. I just can't tell on Wyandottes. A BYC'er told me that he/she/it was a splash BLR. He/She came with my order of several "normal" BLRW and looks totally different.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Looks like a splash cockeral to me, those are some tree trunk legs! How old?

3. PeakyBeaky

PeakyBeaky Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2010
    Bellefonte, PA
    Yes, that's a splash BLR...and a rooster.

4. Squishypuff

Mar 14, 2011
    Kernersville, NC
    Darn it! They are just about 5 weeks old now. What things should I be looking for in the others, as a gender clue? The males have thicker legs?

5. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Thicker legs, earlier development and reddening of comb and wattles, sometime a bit slower to feather out.

ETA, until a year old, the males are cockerals and the females are called pullets. After one year, they are called roosters and hens. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 7, 2011
  6. bishopschickens

bishopschickens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Cumberland, VA
    Wyandottes are very tough to sex but if I were to give my opinion I would say it's a splash rooster. You CAN get late surprises but this one is looking like a boy pretty early.

Brandon

7. Squishypuff

Mar 14, 2011
    Kernersville, NC
    I'm lazy, it takes less time to type hen and roo than it does to type pullet and cockeral! LOL. Half the time I'm posting from my phone too, so I cheat a little.

I've had the sinking suspicion all of the BLRW I bought are male. I have two I am watching for awhile, but I think I just lost the Straight Run Lottery! These guys are bantams too, so not sure if they're even worth the effort of growing and processing.

8. colby318

colby318 got 'dottes?

Jul 14, 2008
    Stamping Ground, KY
    Cockerel.
    Try selling them on craiglist. BLR bantams are still a novelty, they'd be great for a 4H project!

9. Squishypuff

Mar 14, 2011
    Kernersville, NC
    I guess on this particular bird, it doesn't matter anymore. I found three of them dead bit ago. One was my little porcelain D'uccle pullet- one of only two I had. Crappy luck! Along with the D'uccle was this BLRW and one of my Sebrights.

10. PeakyBeaky

PeakyBeaky Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2010
    Bellefonte, PA
    Quote:Oh no...I'm so sorry.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by