1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Splash blue-laced red Wyandotte or EE?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by catchthewind, Mar 15, 2011.

1. catchthewind

catchthewind Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2011
    Vancouver Island
    Why didn't someone warn me how addictive chickens are? I've been at it less than three weeks and already want more. [​IMG] We just got two new little babies today. One is an Australorp. The other was sold as a Splash Blue-Laced Red Wyandotte, but she looks an awful lot like our EEs to my completely untrained eye (and there were EE's in the brooder with her). Just curious how to tell the difference. I have read that leg colour can sometimes give it away, though one of my EE's has green legs and the other doesn't, so that doesn't seem to be foolproof. Also, any guess on gender yet or way too early still? She had a tiny comb compared to some of the others there, and more feathers than some, but again, I am a complete newbie so I really have no idea what I'm doing yet. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

ETA: Not sure if it makes a difference, but she's also tiny. She's smaller than the Australorp (who is from the same hatch as her), and only a week to ten days younger than my EE's but about half their size.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2011
  2. paddock36

paddock36 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 24, 2008
    Ocala, Florida
    Comb looks more like a Wyandotte to me.

3. heathersboers

heathersboers Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2010
    wilson
    looks like a splash blue laced wyandotte to me [​IMG]

4. catchthewind

catchthewind Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2011
    Vancouver Island
    Great, thank you both! I didn't even think to compare the combs. Told you I'm a newbie. [​IMG] Not sure how people did this before the internet. [​IMG]

5. paddock36

paddock36 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 24, 2008
    Ocala, Florida
    The internet just makes it more fun.

6. PeakyBeaky

PeakyBeaky Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2010
    Bellefonte, PA
    Quote:[​IMG] and I agree...splash wyandotte.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by