Splash Cochin

tadkerson

Crowing
15 Years
Jul 19, 2008
Missouri
Here is a pic of a splash cochin I received all of the young birds have the same color and some even have a black feather in their plumage which is a good indication of splash.

The color is unusual for splash- looks more like lavender to me or a light blue. Thought members would like to see the color. This is a large fowl pullet. I will do some experimental crossing with the birds and see what happens.

13371_cochin2.jpg

Tim

looks lavender to me too. I would think you would see at least a few streaks or dark feather shafts or SOMETHING by the time it got that big! That would be COOL if it was laveder! I'm partial to the color.

Besides Tim knowing what he is calling what, the dark hackles would typically eliminate the lavendar thought. Very nice coloring, will be interesting to see how she feathers out as an adult.

I remember, some years ago, Grant Brereton saying that if one bred splash to splash for several generations, one can lose the dark splashes & get to a colour that looks just like lavender.
So, if this is the case with yours, I suppose the theory would be tested if one bred these to a blue & the splashes returned to splash offspring.

Quote:
I'm just wondering, since pedigrees and such are not required for showing, could you show one of these types of birds as a lavender if the color was uniform enough?

Quote:
Dustin.

The thing that is unusual is that there is not black feather edging (melanotic) on the feathers (if she was blue). I would say the darker head hackles is due to melanotic and is typical of blue also. The bird should be whitish if she were splash; the rest of the birds are the same color. I am working on getting me an extended black rooster. I will have some answers in March 2010.

I think the self blue pullet will pass for lavender.

Tim

Last edited:
I had assumed that you were breeding splash to splash in order to get a more uniformed blue, but I'm not quite certain as to how you would get a more even blue color on a splash bird. Were you intentionally breeding towards a self-blue/lavender bird? Or was it a happy bloop?

Interesting, it does appear lavender to me as well. My splash's have a white base with dark blue feathers even at a very young age. This bird has a lavender looking base?? I love the color!

Shari

No, I ordered the birds for another project from a hatchery. I need some of their genes to obtain a new variety of chicken I hope to produce. If they carry a new blue allele or carry blue and lavender (most likely not), that will help me with the project. I have always been interested in the blue locus and if I had the space, I would do some serious research with the blue gene.

After I ordered the cochins, I obtained a source for the lavender gene. I really do not need the cochins if all goes well with the bird I have obtained.

At this time all of the cochins I have appear to be females. I am sure cochins are slow to mature so I will have to wait longer to determine their sex.

Here is another bird. Note the black feather toward the tail and a small black streak near the hackles.

13371_cochin3.jpg

She has some red stain in the feathers on her toes.

Tim

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom